Khon Kaen

Alfmaz

Kosa (Khosa) Hotel, around 1K bht, negotiable best value.

Also, Charoen Thani Princess Hotel, never stayed but has a good reputation.

Best in town, Pullman Khon Kaen Raja Orchid Hotel (ex sofitel), but I bet the price is higher, last time I paid 1200bht.

(but if you can negotiate I bet you can get quite low rates).

My last trip was last year and if you want some nightlife (and if you are quite new to Thailand) then this is not a good place.

Had one excellent (but not cheap) karaoke at the sofitel, don't know if they kept it.

There 3-4 soapies (MP), one was just next to the sofitel (Ceasar) but has moved from what I heard.

A beer bar in the kosa hotel with some freelancers

(don't forget KK has two very big unis and is anyway a pretty big city)

Places I visited; RAD club (coyote club with some of them available for some extra fun).

Same street as sofitel/pullman.

A disco, Harem, in Khon Kaen hotel, some potential but of course a majority of Thai couples.

All in all, if you are used to pattaya or Bangkok -> expect it to be more difficult to find girls in KK (especially if you don't understand a bit of Thai) and don't assume all the girls you meet (except at soapies) are up for the fun.

(if you like uni students then KK is great fun)

But the city can have changed a lot in one year so...

I haven't been to KK in several years. I liked the city. I pretty much agree with what Drogon had to say above. I stayed at the Pullman (then Sofitel). Genuine 5-Star which now goes for about 2300 baht/night. Breakfast buffet included was absolutely the best.

I checked out the Kosa (next door to the Pullman). Seemed okay from looking around the public area. Got the impression that it is a hotel of choice for Thai business meetings/conferences. A massage parlor is connected to the hotel; lackluster performance from what was a fairly ordinary-looking service providers. (No full service or blow job; handjob offered and declined.) I'm pretty sure you could get into the Kosa for about 1000 without any negotiating, but I haven't checked the latest prices. From what I saw, I'd rate it 3 1/2 stars.

Nightlife: well, I was there two nights and didn't find anything local that really appealed to me. Across and nearby to the Pullman and Kosa were a few clubs for the local 20's crowd who seemed to be bent on losing their hearing before they hit 30. Sounds were absolutely deafening. A string of beer bars behind the Kosa on a short soi...nothing worth noting at the time. At the end of the same street as the Kosa and Pullman was an entertainment center that catered to local Thai's...live music was all that was on offer.

The absolute best I saw on offer was in the basement of the Pullman. More like a hostess club/bar. Maybe 10 really cute young ladies dressed to the hilt standing just inside the entrance to chose from...and more would appear as some were led to tables. Unlike other places, it would be best to get there when it opens, like about 9 p.m., as the Japanese businessmen would scoop them up quickly and disappear to private rooms in groups. Mamasan patiently explained the deal to me when she asked if I would like a lady to sit with me. I recall something like 2000 baht to go to my room for "as long as it takes". 55555555555555 Note: these girls would be 9's and 10's in a BKK go-go.

There is a forum dedicated to Khon Kaen where a lot of your questions could be answered by expats living in KK. But, for the life of me, I forget the name. As I recall, it was run by an Aussie by the name of "Doug"? Maybe somebody else here can fill in the blank. It's a good board full of KK info including accomodations and nightlife...or night "death" LOL.

There really isn't much there for a tourist or monger, but will give you a sample of typical mid-sized Thai city. (There is a small 2 or 3 story shopping mall across from the Kosa to spend some time in during the day.)

Have a good trip.

HH

The forum? Used this one last year, don't know if this is the one you are referring to.

http://www.khonkaen.com/english/forum/

I sampled this karaoke (in the Sofitel basement)...

True, the talent (there were 20-30 ladies when I went) was top, I would say the girls were almost all 10 (more white skin though).

Was quoted 2500 for 2 hours -> became 2K LT...

I spent 3 very satisfying nights (and the girls were great daytime guides too, some spoke a very good English and you wouldn't have looked ridiculous taking them out -> karaoke hostess, not simple BG)

Wonder if they kept the karaoke (but as pullman is also part of Accor brand like Sofitel I suppose they could have kept it)

Nice column and report Stickman.

As I said earlier, some girls at Rad are available for some extra fun (provided you are playing Mr nice guy, not the obnoxious foreigner).

Funny thing is the girl agreed after being barfined (by the way the barfine they quoted you is higher than the one I got, price inflation?)

and a nice dinner -> said she needed new shoes and a new uni skirt....Drogon agreed and then almost 'naturally' the girl went back with me.

Seems these girls prefer the 'we go shopping' routine rather than cold hard cash, fine with me and far more 'natural' too...

Alfmaz, go with the flow, be nice, don't throw money and you might have a good reward.

If not lucky, then there always are MP to soften the blow

:beer:

Didn't notice the Kiwi influence but I didn't go to expats hangouts too.

Hi going to visit Khon Kaen any info from people who have been nice place to stay around 1000 or under Bhat, info about night life night life.

I was in KKaen last week and I'd suggest the Season's Place Hotel, which is located next door to the Orchid Hotel. Convienent location. A mere 400-Bt, AC, TV, HW, large bed with a good mattress and unlike many hotels the room lighting is excellent...you can see to read, if that's important. No WiFi or in-house restaurant, though, but eateries nearby. Orchid is also nice, but 550/nite, single.

Map from Orchid Hotel's website:

http://www.khonkaenorchid.com/location.php

Trust stick to come through, I was just looking for an escape from Bangkok and Pattaya and yes I can speak Thai more than some. So my trip is Khon Kaen I have a friend who lives out side there with his wife and kid say 2-3 days then to Undon Thani 2 days then back down to Surin 2 days then Buri Ram 2 days

Archived