Buy stock abroad whilst in Thailand

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Skype no have.

So...have your friend get Skype.

D/load the program, create a logon name/pw and add just $10 US for future calls. While 800 numbers are free, calls to the US or Britain are merely 2-cents a minute....and the voice connections are usually excellent! And a mere $10 will probably last a year's worth of calling!

I've been a member of E-Trade and formerly it's heritage companies dating back to mid 90s using AOL brokerage when a non US citizen could sign up from online in Bangkok and trade US markets. Tax free as well by signing the alien forms and they use a postal address in Thailand if you must use paper records - I don't. They even suggest what to buy these days for the uninitiated as the online brokers getting competitive!

Ymmv.

Flashermac, I registered with Ameritrade and they sent me a form to declare that I was a non-domiciled investor so I would not have to pay tax. I filled the form and sent it back and trade as a Brit living in the UK. Have not paid a penny in tax.

Much appreciated. Here's what he sent me when I told him :

<< I just applied for an Ameritrade account and enclosed form W8-BEN for tax exemption. Though I believe tax is still due on Dividends.

Confusing charges and small print on these e trade web sites. I am curious to hear from you an example of what a typical buy and sell trade costs?

Also, what has their service been like and how long you used them? >>

I have been trading US stocks from the UK since 1999. I registered with Datek who were bought out by Ameritrade a few years later. Have to fill out the W8-BEN form for tax exemption every year. Yes tax is still due on dividends, I forgot about that. Trades are $9.99 as Cav says. Everything works well on-line automatically. I have only phoned them rarely but when I did they were able to help me.

Archived