Custom Gold jewelry

kdzales

I was wondering If I brought 1oz pure gold coin could I have this coin melted down and produce some custom jewelry. The purity I want is 10 to 14 carrot so I want alloys in the gold for strength and look. Question are there goldsmith that would do this Bangkok and can they be trusted so not rip your gold off , and how much would it cost for the workmanship for necklace and gold earrings . I know I can buy baht chains but I do not like gold / orange look..

I wouldn't be melting a pure gold coin for the metal; look at it as an investment.

+1 melting a coin down would be pretty stupid.

YUP, a premium of 3%+ for the coin.

Better to use an ingot, still more, the custom work, gotta be 30%+, not worth it.

Best thing, would be to buy a chain, outside asia, and get the yellow color you want.

Its very simple. You go to a goldsmith and tell him what you want to design in which karat.

They can make anything in any karat.

The real problem here will be in the design and execution there o IE in and getting your design executed to your satisfaction.

Drawings etc.

Not easy if you dont speak Thai

All good points , never consider premium in melting down the coin ,bought quite few coins a long time ago for less than 200.00 oz.Just wanted some strong jewelery with strong clasp what I see here in the west now with high cost of gold is flimsy stuff . , just do not like the look of 22 karat gold .. the jewelery would be a keepsake , not interested it as a investment.

Archived