Day room near Swampy

radioman

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Suvarnabhumi Airport. The name Suvarnabhumi was chosen by HM King Bhumibol Adulyadej, which means "The Golden Land," which is the traditional name for the Thailand-Cambodia-Laos-Burma region.

Pronounced "su-wan-na-poom" Not so difficult, if you try.

The airport's IATA code is BKK.

A little respect goes a long way.

Sound very international to me, like Zaventem for Brussels airport???

Can you pronounce "Charles de Gaulle"?

Suvarnabhumi Airport. The name Suvarnabhumi was chosen by HM King Bhumibol Adulyadej' date=' which means "The Golden Land," which is the traditional name for the Thailand-Cambodia-Laos-Burma region.

A little respect goes a long way.[/quote']

humi = poom :dunno:

Looking at the word in English, I would pronounce it, su-var-nab-humi

The "i" is silent and not pronounced.

Many words are like that: e.g. Chaat(i) for nation/race.

Suvarnabhumi Airport. The name Suvarnabhumi was chosen by HM King Bhumibol Adulyadej, which means "The Golden Land," which is the traditional name for the Thailand-Cambodia-Laos-Burma region.

A little respect goes a long way.

Actually it is difficult to spell for all non-Thai speakers... And even you are able to spell the name correctly no one knows which Airport you are speaking about anyway. They should have named it Bangkok Suvarnabhumi. Thus everybody could shorten it to Bangkok airport.

And I see it as a problem that an airport with an unspeakable name got a nickname, especially if the nickname is closely connected to the airports location, the former 'Cobra Swamp'.

Back to the actual subject. @radioman, what did your mate think of the room? Clean? Location ok for him? Did he partake of the night market? How much for the room? Did they give him a day room rate? Was the pickup ontime and free like it says? Did he get a free ride back to the airport? Was it actually 5 minutes away like it said? I believe it's more like 10 but still very close.

And FFS.......who cares how it's pronounced? We all know how to get there and what to do when we're there. The airport was built in/near a swamp, the name begs to be nickmaned Swampy with no offense to anyone who named it. Move on.

Archived