Day room near Swampy

radioman

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

So are you saying that after all these visits, you still don`t care about how to pronounce the name of the airport correctly?

I guess telling a cab driver that you wanna go to the airport is a nobrainer. No matter how much the pronounciation is butchered.

But on my first visit in 1992, I vividly recall how much trouble I had telling the cab drivers I wanted to go to Hotel Vises or to Tesco Lotus.

I pronounced it in english according to the spelling and they didn`t understand jack shit.

It was not till I got the actual thai pronounciation that I could get my message through.

So let`s just say that is why I do the effort to pronounce names correctly, I find it gives you much better mileage.

I never said I can't pronounce it correctly, I have picked up a word or two.

I am only saying that no matter how one would pronounce it to a taxi, he would more likely than not, understand where you are trying to go.

My initial comment was really directed at anyone who was thinking that 'Swampy' was used in a derogatory manner. It is not used that way.

I never said I can't pronounce it correctly, I have picked up a word or two.

I am only saying that no matter how one would pronounce it to a taxi, he would more likely than not, understand where you are trying to go.

My initial comment was really directed at anyone who was thinking that 'Swampy' was used in a derogatory manner. It is not used that way.

It seems to be used in a derogatory manner, by some. When the airport first opened and there were issues with plumbing and all sorts of technical things, Thai 360 posters started writing 'swampy", referring to the airport, mockingly. The kinks are out and It's now a first class airport and the swampy time has come and gone.

Aside from that, it's childish and very boring to read that over and over for years. It's not cute anymore. Why not airport? Or BKK?

Taxi drivers want to take you to the right place. Recently, I just said sanambin, the driver asked "Suwanapoom?" Good for him, because there may be a slight chance I'm going to Don Muang for a domestic flight.

I can only say when I use the term Swampy, it is meant because the damn airport was built on/in/near a swamp. I lived out there over a year and I can tell you, it is swampy. Marshes all over the place. I can only venture a guess that other people, when they say swampy, are not using it in a derogatory manner. Let's find out......

When you call it Swampy, do you mean it in a derogatory manner?

....But on my first visit in 1992' date=' I vividly recall how much trouble I had telling the cab drivers I wanted to go to Hotel Vises or to Tesco Lotus....[/quote']

There was no Tesco Lotus in Thailand in 1992, which might explain why the taxi drivers had a problem understanding you! :doah:

Busted.

I did, however, stay at the Hotel Vises in Patong in 1992 and experienced said problems about the pronounciation.

The Tesco Lotus thingy was apparently in recent years, but does it really matter unless you want to point out that "my vivid recollection" sucks?

If so, point well taken :)

Archived