RIP Barbara Billingsley

TroyinEwa/Perv

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I credit Leave it to Beaver and The Brady Bunch as really giving me a fucked up idea of "real American family life." We didn't know people like this, the idea that it was really the norm at the time really fucked our little heads up, and lowered our self esteem. I heard the Cosby show sort of did the same to some black kids...

I'd love to see a real life portrayal of a REAL typical American family...closet thing might have been married with Children.

Simpsons

Family guy is great. My fave program is Modern Family (also starring Al Bundy/Ed O'Neill). They're dysfunctional enough, only problem is they're all affluent. Same with the show that follows it, Cougar Town. All leisure, all the time, seems like nobody ever works. The only character I relate to is the ex who teaches golf and lives on a small boat (called 'Jealous Much?') in a parking lot.

I'd love to see a real life portrayal of a REAL typical American family...closet thing might have been married with Children.

Well, OH, mine was actually pretty close to this. I guess I am darn lucky.

I grew up in the unique time in history just after WWII - the big one - when all the GI's could get a GI home loan. A job was a career. Times were much simpler. A single land line telephone and one black and white big screen tele - 19" or 25" if you were 'rich'. As kids we actually played outside. You could stuff all the kids into the back seat of the 2 door Studebaker - all 4 of us kids plus the dog! Mom and Dad loved each other and stayed married until reaching for heaven.

But not quite the Hollywood life. Dad had one full time job and 4 part time jobs. And Mom did have to get a job - but minor details to the overall plot of life.

Yes, times were simpler - and I was darn lucky.

RIP: Barbara Billingsly.

Archived