How to sned money to BKK?

TheCorinthian

Of course I can always use Western Union. But surly there is a better way. My fiancée has a bank account with K Bank.

I thought about getting a city Bank account and giving her the atm card. With there being a new City Bank shop right on Suk Asoke, I thought I might get a break in fees!

What do you guys do?

I don't have money so no worries for me. But if I did, there are a few options. The one you mentioned probably being on par with just doing a transfer from your bank account to her existing one. Minimal fee (mine is 30 usd) and is usually there in 24 hours or so.

Another option would be to open another bank account at your existing bank and putting an amount you are comfortable with in it and giving her an ATM. There will be fees involved but if she used a non-Thai machine, such as AEON or Citibank, the 150 baht fee could be averted. This option probably is the worst of the 3.

Explain please...?

SWIFT money transfer

It's basically just an electric transfer of money from one money institution to another, internationally.

As Mekong said, it's problem free or at least was for me as well. I also was lucky enough to use Kasikorn on the Bangkok end with help from a very good guy. My credit union charged me 30 usd for this transfer and Kasikorn takes a fee that maxes out at 500 baht.

As I am only sending $300 a month, a $30 fee (10%) is not good. I think Western Union may be cheaper.

With Western Union, sending 300usd from the US to Thailand carries a fee of 29usd. Plus the exchange rate that will be given is not gonna be in your favor. I'd do a calculation before you decide to do it to see if it's acceptable.

The best benefit is the money is available almost instantly and many times the receiver in Thailand will get a free gift, umbrella, a set of glasses, etc.

So by saving the 1 dollar on the fee and the unfavorable rate, you may be better off doing a SWIFT for her to get a few extra baht. Since it's only 300 bucks, it's not a huge deal but to each their own.

$300/month?

Setup an account in the USA, like at Citibank and give her an ATM card to pull the funds out of a Aeon ATM machine, No fees involved anywhere along this route.

Some banks (Chase, on-line checking account) offer free money (wire) transfers, at least they did when I setup the account several years ago. May have changed but they should be some banks/credit unions that offer free money transfers.

Chase sent the funds I transferred, one time, via Bangkok Bank in the USA and I ended up with a lousy exchange rate, thus the one time (only) that I did the transfer with Chase.

Pulling from the ATM works OK for me.

Also, when you come to Thailand, bring a pile of cash, exchange it, put it in Kasikorn Bank and have the online services setup so anywhere in the world you can transfer funds into her account. The Kasikorn to Kasikorn transfer is free.

Archived