Is Thailand Living Still Cheaper?

Mekong

Everything goes up except pay! But seriously how much of the increases are because of the strong baht exchange rate? I'm living well enough on what I make, just not putting much away in the bank any more.

As to Cambo, Vietnam and the PI ... fark that shit. I'd sooner move upcountry in Thailand. And isn't it odd that Yahoo Finance just named LOS as one of the cheapest places to retire - not any of those mentioned here. (KL is mentioned - though as more expensive.)

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply
And isn't it odd that Yahoo Finance just named LOS as one of the cheapest places to retire - not any of those mentioned here. (KL is mentioned - though as more expensive.)

Sounds like the kind of survey that names Melbourne one of the 'Worlds Most Liveable Cities'. I guess if you compare it with Kabul, Nairobi or Detroit ...

KL, in my experience, is a great place to visit but I am always happy to leave. Like many of our cities in Oz, traffic is steadily choking the city. I much preferred Ipoh and the Cameron Highlands to KL and Georgetown, but then I am old buzzard who just wants to sit on a verandah and drink beer while the Chinese kids troop off to Mass.

The cost of living has gone up everywhere, Thailand included. Bangkok especially. But even in the 'provinces' prices are much higher than years ago, and if you figure in the exchange rate, yeah, it's a lot more expensive than it used to be. But still, cheaper than the US is (I am allowed to mention the US here, or will it get the NG upset and a rant to ensue?). Rents outside of the Big Smoke are still very inexpensive. You can still rent a nice 2 or 3 bedroom house here in Surin for around 3500 to 4500 baht a month. Used to be around 2000 to 2500 baht a month, but still, around 100 bucks or a bit more you can rent a decent house here. Some guys willing to pay around 5000 to 8000 a month can get a huge home (4 or 5 bedrooms) with land, garden, etc. So yeah, still cheaper than back in the west to have a decent lifestyle on a fixed income (if you stay away from the tourist areas and big cities). And you can still bargain for your nightlife pleasure and get reasonable prices, compared to back in the states/west for anything comparable. Depends on your needs and desires though, and where you chose to live. I doubt you can get in the west what you can get here for the same cost in many areas of expenditure, still.

Girls in KK as DC and I found out 300 baht,

Cent I only object to USA only threads, or posts that are so cryptic I fail to see someone is talking about a person or a genre of people.

Even Bangkok can be cheap if you go out from the obvious, I had a stunning place for 20K last year, as Cent says, a three story town house in Sawang prime area, 5000, expensive but best place for shops etc.

Most other places a lot cheaper

Archived