Usa Thread

TroyinEwa/Perv

Liberty Slipping: 10 Things You Could Do in 1975 That You Can’t Do Now

http://www.economicpolicyjournal.com/2013/07/liberty-slipping-10-things-you-could-do.html

In 1975:

1.You could buy an airline ticket and fly without ever showing an ID.

2.You could buy cough syrup without showing an ID.

3.You could buy and sell gold coins without showing an ID

4.You could buy a gun without showing an ID

5.You could pull as much cash out of your bank account without the bank filing a report with the government.

6.You could get a job without having to prove you were an American.

7.You could buy cigarettes without showing an ID

8.You could have a phone conversation without the government knowing who you called and who called you.

9. You could open a stock brokerage account without having to explain where the money came from.

10. You could open a Swiss bank account with ease. All Swiss banks were willing and happy to open accounts for Americans.

There are thousands of other examples...

Judge Orders $1 Million Returned to Exotic Dancer

http://gma.yahoo.com/blogs/abc-blogs/judge-orders-1-million-returned-exotic-dancer-151044009.html

A federal judge has ruled that Nebraska cops must return over $1 million confiscated at a traffic stop from a woman who saved the money $1 at a time during her 15 year career as an exotic dancer.

The money belongs to Tara Mishra, 33, of Rancho Cucamonga, Calif., who began putting aside her earnings when she started dancing at age 18, according to an opinion U.S. District Judge Joseph Bataillon wrote last week. The money was meant to start her business and get out of the stripping business, the judge wrote...

Judge Orders $1 Million Returned to Exotic Dancer

http://gma.yahoo.com...-151044009.html

A federal judge has ruled that Nebraska cops must return over $1 million confiscated at a traffic stop from a woman who saved the money $1 at a time during her 15 year career as an exotic dancer.

The money belongs to Tara Mishra, 33, of Rancho Cucamonga, Calif., who began putting aside her earnings when she started dancing at age 18, according to an opinion U.S. District Judge Joseph Bataillon wrote last week. The money was meant to start her business and get out of the stripping business, the judge wrote...

Hmmmmm............. she was able to save about $70,000 a year?

Liberty Slipping: 10 Things You Could Do in 1975 That You Can’t Do Now

http://www.economicp...u-could-do.html

In 1975:

1.You could buy an airline ticket and fly without ever showing an ID.

2.You could buy cough syrup without showing an ID.

3.You could buy and sell gold coins without showing an ID

4.You could buy a gun without showing an ID

5.You could pull as much cash out of your bank account without the bank filing a report with the government.

6.You could get a job without having to prove you were an American.

7.You could buy cigarettes without showing an ID

8.You could have a phone conversation without the government knowing who you called and who called you.

9. You could open a stock brokerage account without having to explain where the money came from.

10. You could open a Swiss bank account with ease. All Swiss banks were willing and happy to open accounts for Americans.

There are thousands of other examples...

With the possible exception of #'s 2, 3, 5 and 8 - I can't see a negative here...

Ohio bank steals woman's possessions by 'mistake,' then refuses to pay up

An Ohio woman returned from vacation to find that all of her belongings had been stolen, taken right out of her house. She knows who did it, but the local police aren't helping her. That's because Katie Barnett's stuff was stolen not by a burglar who slipped in under cover of darkness or a family member who felt it rightly belonged to them, but by a bank.

First National Bank got the wrong house, changing the locks and removing everything from Barnett's home rather than the house across the street. And no one is trying to make things right. When Barnett gave the bank president an estimate of $18,000 for her lost possessions:

“He got very firm with me and said, ‘We’re not paying you retail here, that’s just the way it is,’†Barnett said. “I did not tell them to come in my house and make me an offer. They took my stuff and I want it back.â€

The shock of having her house broken into and belongings taken by mistake has now turned into anger.

“Now, I’m just angry,†Barnett said. “It wouldn’t be a big deal if they would step up and say ‘I’m sorry, we will replace your stuff.’ Instead, I’m getting attitude from them. They’re sarcastic when they talk to me. They make it sound like I’m trying to rip the bank off. All I want is my stuff back.â€

What we've learned to expect from banks when it comes to foreclosures is criminality thinly veiled by complicated paperwork. In this case, there's no veil. Just an "oops, wrong address, but we're not paying you for your stuff." Meanwhile, the McArthur police chief has declared the case closed—even though Barnett doesn't have her stuff back and hasn't been paid. Can you even imagine if any random person, even one who thought they had a good reason to be there, broke into a house and took everything out to sell, give away, or just junk? Do you think the police would ignore that?

http://www.dailykos.com/story/2013/07/24/1226218/-Ohio-bank-steals-woman-s-possessions-by-mistake-then-refuses-to-pay-up#

Ohio bank steals woman's possessions by 'mistake,' then refuses to pay up

An Ohio woman returned from vacation to find that all of her belongings had been stolen, taken right out of her house. She knows who did it, but the local police aren't helping her. That's because Katie Barnett's stuff was stolen not by a burglar who slipped in under cover of darkness or a family member who felt it rightly belonged to them, but by a bank.

First National Bank got the wrong house, changing the locks and removing everything from Barnett's home rather than the house across the street. And no one is trying to make things right. When Barnett gave the bank president an estimate of $18,000 for her lost possessions:

“He got very firm with me and said, ‘We’re not paying you retail here, that’s just the way it is,’†Barnett said. “I did not tell them to come in my house and make me an offer. They took my stuff and I want it back.â€

The shock of having her house broken into and belongings taken by mistake has now turned into anger.

“Now, I’m just angry,†Barnett said. “It wouldn’t be a big deal if they would step up and say ‘I’m sorry, we will replace your stuff.’ Instead, I’m getting attitude from them. They’re sarcastic when they talk to me. They make it sound like I’m trying to rip the bank off. All I want is my stuff back.â€

What we've learned to expect from banks when it comes to foreclosures is criminality thinly veiled by complicated paperwork. In this case, there's no veil. Just an "oops, wrong address, but we're not paying you for your stuff." Meanwhile, the McArthur police chief has declared the case closed—even though Barnett doesn't have her stuff back and hasn't been paid. Can you even imagine if any random person, even one who thought they had a good reason to be there, broke into a house and took everything out to sell, give away, or just junk? Do you think the police would ignore that?

http://www.dailykos....uses-to-pay-up#

Civil Case!

What she should start doing is start seeing a psychiarist for depression, etc.

and then go get herself a good lawyer.

Cop Fired for Speaking Out Against Ticket and Arrest Quotas

Auburn, Alabama is home to sprawling plains, Auburn University, and a troubling police force. After the arrival of a new police chief in 2010, the department entered an era of ticket quotas and worse.

“When I first heard about the quotas I was appalled,†says former Auburn police officer Justin Hanners, who claims he and other cops were given directives to hassle, ticket, or arrest specific numbers of residents per shift. “I got into law enforcement to serve and protect, not be a bully.â€

Hanners blew the whistle on the department’s tactics and was eventually fired for refusing to comply and keep quiet. He says that each officer was required to make 100 contacts each month, which included tickets, arrests, field interviews, and warnings. This equates to 72,000 contacts a year in a 50,000 person town. His claims are backed up by audio recordings of his superiors he made. The Auburn police department declined requests to be interviewed for this story.

“There are not that many speeders, there are not that many people running red lights to get those numbers, so what [the police] do is they lower their standards,†says Hanners. That led to the department encouraging officers to arrest people that Hanners “didn’t feel like had broken the law.â€

Former Reason staffer Radley Balko, now an investigative reporter for the Huffington Post and author of the new book, Rise of the Warrior Cop, says that this isn’t just a nuisance, it infringes on public safety.

“You have a policy that encourages police to create petty crimes and ignore serious crimes, and that’s clearly the opposite of what we want our police to be doing,†says Balko.

Hanners repeatedly voiced his concerns through his chain of command, and the department responded that these requirements are necessary for increasing productivity.

Yet Hanners firmly believes that the quotas are entirely revenue driven.

“I had no intention of dropping it,†says Hanners, “This is a problem in more places than Auburn, and I think once the people know that they can hold their public officials accountable, it’ll change.â€

The police chief singled out by Hanners retired this July, citing medical reasons.

http://reason.com/re...-priorities-fir