Usa Thread

TroyinEwa/Perv

I can understand their feelings, but at least they should be polite about it. After all the President is the head of state, like him or not.

I've got absolutely zero respect for declining. Its a tradition. I'm sure there were members of championship teams who hated Nixon and Bush respectively but they went. Its not only a tradition but an honor. Obama is no Jefferson but really, how bad is he? He's an average president if you really look at it. Gay rights is about the only thing that sets him apart. The man is firmly establishment, which is no different than pretty much every modern president save Carter. What really is controversial about him? For that matter, Clinton and the elder Bush. Nixon, Reagan and Dubya were polarizing to some extent more than others. Reagan the least of the aforementioned.

Fort Hood gunman Maj Nidal Hasan guilty on all counts

When the military judge, Col Tara Osborn, suggested shortly before jurors began deliberating on Thursday that the shootings happened because Maj Hasan had lost his temper, he challenged her.

"It wasn't done under the heat of sudden passion," he said.

"There was adequate provocation that these were deploying soldiers that were going to engage in an illegal war."

The Army psychiatrist opened fire on 5 November 2009 at a medical facility on the base where soldiers were being evaluated before deploying overseas.

Prosecutors said he had prepared carefully for the attack for weeks, visiting a target practice range, buying a gun, and stuffing paper towels into his trouser pockets to muffle noise from the extra ammunition before he opened fire.

Soldiers and civilians testified that they heard a man wearing Army camouflage scream an Islamic benediction before opening fire with two handguns.

http://www.bbc.co.uk...canada-23818930

p.s. But the Prez says it was really only "work place violence" ... which means the victims' benefits are lower and they can not receive a Purple Heart. :(

I used to be staunchly against legalizing illegal immigration. I've changed my tune to a large extent. First, I must say that I think the southern border should be enforced and shame on the Dems for not going along so they can get politcal points. Its tantamount to treason. How can any person NOT be for controling its own borders? Its unpatriotic at best, close to treasonous if you're an elected official sworn to uphold the constitution and sworn to do what's best for America.

I also have a problem with many of the latinos who come. Specifically Mexican Americans. Past immigrants came to America to be Americans. Its hypocritical to come to America and hate on America and claim parts of America belong to your country and be for some sort of 'reconquista' of American territory. The past is the past. Sh*t happens. My ancestors were enslaved. I can't change that. Reparations isn't gonna change that fact. Sh*t happens. I am not bitter about, lets move forward since all of us are 'stuck' here together. So, not saying forget the past but don't harbor it as a reason to hate. Other latinos are good on being American. Nothing wrong with having pride in your ancestoral country. Millions of Irish, Italian Americans, etc. who have been here for over a century have ancestoral pride but they are American first and foremost. I've described it to foreigners on international trips when asked in terms of soccer. Man Utd is your favorite team by far but you have a soft spot for Crystal Palace since your famly is from London. But if the two played you cheer for Man Utd.

Anyway, that said. People say 'well, past immigrants (from Europe) came here legally and so everyone else should' True, very true but lets be truthful. They had no choice. There is absolutely no doubt in my mind that had Ireland, Italy, and other European immigrants been in Canada and/or Mexico they'd have streamed across the borders in droves. Latinos are no different and lets be real. Immigration is a latino issue. Even thogh there are thousands and thousands of Asians, Eurpoeans and non Latinos who came here on student visas or tourist visas and overstayed it purposely, immigration is seen as a 'Latino' issue. Americans simply don't see non Latino illegal immigrants in the same manner. Boston and NY still have hundreds if not thousands of illegal Irish immigrants. More than a few Russians in Brighton Beach, Brooklyn here illegally as well and many are part of the russian mafia but unfairly Latinos get the brunt of the hate. If you're here, law abiding, have your family here but came here illgally and then f*ck it stay. However, if there are anti-American things in your past, no, f*ck you, go back. Not saying you can't bitch and complain like the rest of us but all of us draw a line with being anti-American. So, that's my overall stance. If any of us were in central america we'd move heaven and earth to come (allthough frankly, I wouldn't these days).

Steve, you need to go into politics, you make more sense than most of the Democrats and Republicans in D.C. Both sides are to damn arrogant to even try and compromise on even the most basic issues. They are not legislators, they're pot stirrers. Always trying to make points for their side. The future of the US doesn't look promising until all the clowns in office now are voted out.

As far as immigration is concerned, citizenship has to be earned, not given. My Thai wife will become a US citizen next month after years of waiting and considerable expense. For those that want citizenship, get at the back of the line and be prepared to spend hard earned money for the privilege. Also, if you want to come to work hard and earn you own money and support the US, you're welcome to come. For those that want to criticize the US and live off the public dole, stay the hell where you are now. You are not wanted.

• Like 1

I've been telling Steve that for years. But he is probably too honest and decent to survive in politics. :dunno:

p.s. Congrats to your wife, HT. :)

Thanks Flash! We take citizenship as a given, but fail to realize what it means to someone not from the US. Joy thinks it's one of the highlights of her life. To come from a small village in Thailand to US citizenship IS a big deal to her.

I wasn't joking about Steve in politics. Hell we need people in Washington with common sense and Steve fits the bill. The idiots running the country now HAVE to go!!

One of my professors long ago suggested that elections should have a "none of the above" option. If a majority picked "none of the above", the parties would have to go back and nominate new candidates to try again. I'm sure it would never happen, because the major parties realise that voters would reject many of the clowns they put up for office.

You guys are nuts...haha..really. Thank you but hell no! Two main issues, one is I have a 'past', Thailand amongst them (I would legalize prostitution in America for one Makes absolutely no sense we tell a woman she has control over her body to abort a baby but not make a profit off the pussy it came out of? Millions of athletes make a living based on their body, why can't a woman?) Second, I would be wayyy too honest and get assassinated over it. haha..really. The first thing I'd tell my campaign staff, don't expect jobs because you helped get me elected. Only the most qualified for every department, etc. I dont' care if they are a woman, gay, purple, wear women's underwear under their suit, if they are the best for the job, then so be it.

• Like 1

HSTeach specifically since its your field but Flash and others please feel free to chime in. Obama spoke about lowering college costs. http://swampland.time.com/2013/08/22/obama-looks-to-shrink-college-tuition-bills/ The middle class is VITAL for any country to grow and succeed. A thriving middle class even moreso. That is disappearing in America. A quality college education is becoming unaffordable. I don't know the reasons. Is it merely just greed on the universities? Or is it like what's happening with GM and other huge companies in that there are legacy costs. These unis have a huge staff. Not talking professors, the people in the cafeteria, the administration. My school had 25,000 students and so you need a small army to run things. Michigan, Texas, Penn State have well over 50k or 60k students!! The workers get paid well, great benefits and never leave. So, they retire and that retirement pay eats at costs, is that it? Or is it mismanagement? I have no idea. I'm sure someone in academia has written about it. Someone in Congress needs to find it, dust it off and find out the reasons. One of other concerns is that American unis are now a security issue. WIth the need for money, they have expanded international admissions. Understandable. These are almost always the wealthy of foreign countries. However, China is sending an 'army' (pun intended) of students to American unis and they are primarily in the hard sciences, engineering, etc. Okay, what's the big deal? Not so much that (they are trying to catch up technologically) but Chinese front companies are making agreements with schools like MIT, Cal Tech, U of Chicago to fund research and get first rights or co-usage to discoveries, findings etc. Much of this are things that have military application. I've read that the Chinese' ability to now hit the western USA or will soon and their stealth technology was stolen or sold. Stealth technology was lightyears ahead of its time. If some of you older guys can recall, Carter spoke about it and we perfected under Reagan. Its 30 year old technology that neither the Russians or the Chinese could duplicate...until now. Just like how both of the aforementioned got nuke technology (partially stolen from us), the same is happening with stealth other technology. Basically our unis research areas should be more of a security issue. It is but not nearly as secure as it should be.