10 years till next colonoscopy

nkped

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

My expat friend (in Bangkok) was under the care of a GI doc for two years before his doc recommended a colonoscopy. It was too late. He had cancer that required a large portion of his colon to be removed. He paid for the procedure (out of pocket) so he could keep some of his colon since his insurance would only cover a colostomy and removal of the colon. I'm sure he told me more of his story, but I could only think about getting my ass back to Cali and in to the doc's office asap. I did, and every thing check out ok. Whew.

Get it done.

• 1 month later...

Ok help needed here.

I suspect that I'll be required to have a colonoscopy very soon.

I was to have one 2 years ago but failed to stomach the shit easy crap they asked me to mix and drink. It was called Klean Prep.

The end result was I didn't get the job done.

However, my doctor is hinting (in a big way) that I may have to have one now.

Ok my problem is what other shit easy crap can be used.

I'm sure there has to be others like me who just couldn't swallow the shit easy stuff.

Can anyone who has had this procedure done to them tell me what was the preparation that they had to endure before having the colonoscopy.

Any help will be appreciated because I don't fancy having to try and swallow shit easy when maybe a nicer solution is available even it has to be endured for a longer period prior to the procedure.

Thanks.

I can't remember the brand name, but this time it was something I had to mix in large quantity. The result was basically salt water and it was really nasty but I got it down and it did the job.

In the past, it was a carbonated drink (not tasty but not too horrible) followed by a suppository. I would take that over the saline mixture this last time.

Thank you for your reply.

Will be going back to the doctor in a weeks time or so and she is supposed to be looking into alternatives for me.

Have Googled it and it appears that there are various methods used. Some of which use tablets plus a smaller amount of liquid.

• 1 year later...

I've mentioned before that I haven't had health insurance since graduating from College in 1975. I have been very fortunate not to have to go to the doctor because of an accident. I have a distrust of hospitals and, to a lessor extent, of Doctors. Even with health insurance being mandatory in one year, I doubt if I will get any tests that a 60 year old should be getting. What I do know is a percentage of the U.S. population that is admitted to a hospital gets sicker while there and many will die from what they catch while in the hospital. A friend of my father died from an infection two days after being admitted for a respiratory problem (not related to what she died from). Prostrate and colon problems run in my family but unless it is a live or death clear situation, I doubt if I will be undergoing tests for them or other possible maladies. Last week, my sister went in for a colonoscopy, to detect if any of the cancer that had been removed a year earlier had returned. During the test, her colon was pierced and she had internal bleeding that couldn't be controlled. The morons ended up taking he spleen out. I've talked to her on the phone and she is devastated and feels that this will reduce her life expectancy considerably. She has a husband, 5 kids and 2 grand kids and may not live to see the grand kids grow up or future grand kids. I realize the risk that I am taking and I may end up getting a terminal disease that might have been prevented if it had been treated earlier. I am my father's son and believe that I have the same genes that he had. He lived till 89 and had no medical problems until he was 80. If I can get to 80 without seeing a Doctor very often and not have to be admitted to a hospital, I'll be satisfied. However, living with a thai wife and her 3 kids, I see how the segment of society lives that is obsessed with pills. I hope that I'm never to the point that having to have most medications rules my life. I've been lucky so far and hope that luck continues for at least 20 more years.

Archived