Ominous warnings re the Asian bubble

gobbledonk

Same in the U.S. after Katrina. Plenty of Mexican labor (legal or not), but not many takers from the local "work" force. Different slant on this though. The locals were too busy collecting their benefits to have time to pick up the rubble and help rebuild/clean up their own city.

HH

more baht for pound?

If China slows' date=' less Aussie dollar to the baht :susel: [/quote']

I think that will be the least of our problems. Alarm bells are already ringing about what would happen if China starts calling in its worldwide 'bar tab'. Add the potential for massive unrest among a huge population of factory workers and their families - real doomsday stuff.

The big problem is if China slows down some, China will probably slow down loaning money to the USA?

Chinese seem to be acting responsibly in gradually raising interest rates and using other measures to slow down growth and control inflation so I don`t think there is much of a bubble developing except maybe in real estate prices.

China also has a surplus of money because she operates deeply in the black. Actually, China is further in the black then any other country in the world.

China does indeed have huge trade surplus and the largest foreign currency reserves, but the country itself operates on credit and banks are in serious trouble. If they were to actually recognize the non-performing loans most would be insolvent. I see China following the same path as Japan. As long as China can stay competitive in the world market, which is likely, they will be ok, but the middle class is going to get hit very hard just like in Japan.

TH

Archived