Songkran

Alfmaz

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I hardly think pictures from New Orleans Mardi Gras on Bourbon street is the same as the corner of Sathorn and Narathiwat.

I do agree there a cultural difference to the reaction to public nudity. And all that does is prove my point on ethnocentricity. One of the hallmarks of which is the inability to recognize it in oneself.

TH

Hi,

You said:

"I believe that in any Western Country there would some outcry if some teenage girls were filmed in the downtown section of any major country dancing topless in public."

I'd say New Orleans is a pretty major city, and like Songkran is for Bangkok, Mardi Grass is a big cultural event for the city. So, where exactly is the big difference?

And before you focus on the 'down town' part again, keep in mind there is a large red light district on Silom as well.

As for ethnocentricity, I am sure we are all guilty of that at one point or another. Just human nature to compare cultural values to those one was brought up in.

Sanuk!

I've been coming to LOS for 7 years now but this was my first Songkran. I knew what to expect from reading on the board so I had money and mobile phone in a plastic bag so no pompem there.

I went out and "played water" twice and had a great time. The only bad thing is that now I have a nasty ear infection.

I talked to several of my friends that have had the same problem during and after Songkran. They said some of the water is not the cleanest.

But it was still fun.

S1

Archived