They Think I'm Stupid

sayjann

as i said a few weeks ago i have little cash and would be happy to move to upcountry thailand and just work the land each day and see what happens.

we might fall out within a week and i get thrown out or we could be together for 30 years,who knows?.

i know i would have to forget most things i have grown up with but that does'nt really bother me.

the drink consumption will decrease by 95% but i would get used to that,as long as i have my cigarettes i would be happy.

just living off the land as much as i could would be a great challenge but one i would like to have a try at.

it would be a great way to live out my days.

sitting on a deckchair watching the sun go down with a beer in hand each night would be a perfect way to finish every day.

but like i say just a dream and nothing wrong with dreaming about something you want,even though you know it will never happen.

Yeah I did that once, lived in a tiny village near the Mekong. The girl I was with a had large rubber plantation amongst other holdings and I kind of took up a supervisory role to keep myself busy (also her father had died recently). This involved arranging gear and equipment, motivating the guys, and kicking the occasional arse which is just nuts to me. It was a quiet life - I become very proficient in Laos (noone speaks English there), I was well known about the place - I'd teach English at the local school, I went to the temple regularly, the monks liked me. I became a well respected member of the community - and I would like to think that they were proud to have me. I went to weddings and funerals. I rode a high powered motorbike that I'd bought for a song from some broken hearted German bloke. I felt like I was a mascot for the village - which I think is the most accurate way I can put it. Now I know this might sound like an odd thing to say, but they made me feel like I was a film star or something. The kids would chase me down the street, the guys wouldn't let me pass without offering beer or whisky and there would be these shy smiles from the eligible girls.

In the evenings I used to have an ice cooled beer and just stare up at the stars like a kid that's never seen them before - and I suppose we've being doing this for thousands of years - wonder what all *this* is about? The evening meal was lovingly prepared by my girl and her sisters and her Mum, and then we would retire to a bower of bliss (just me and my lady in case you're wondering).

In the end it wasn't for me - I missed the bright lights - the big money, the disco and the allure of the next Big Thing. I suppose I wasn't ready - still felt I had something more in life to do. To my mind I was wasting my life out there. It would have been so easy to stay there for 30 years and that thought scared the shit out of me.

However that is not to say Sayjan that its not the life for you. If there is one thing I've learnt its that idle dreams will stay idle. Now this may sound stupid but the only way to do something - is just to go out and do it. It is extremely simple. Except 95% of people don't get it. Make that 99% of people don't get it. You can choose to float through life dismissing idle dreams or just go ahead and follow them through. What you have to realise is there is only one way if you've got cajones - and that takes courage.

It takes courage to do something when most people think it's a bad idea. It becomes an equation - risk vs reward. What I often do when faced with decisions like yours is to just get a piece of paper and write all the good reasons to do something on one side, then all the bad reasons on the other side. It organises your thoughts. Then throw it away and sleep on it. In the morning I always know what to do - I get my subconscious to do overtime! Still it works. I'm happy with my choices. In my life I've changed course often and in dramatically different directions. All I can say is I don't regret anything and more to the purpose - there would be no point in doing so.

I never would have lived in that tiny Mekong river village if I listened to most people - those nay sayers, those ill informed wankers - yeah I think that describes them perfectly. I'm glad I did it - it was a rich experience that I'll never forget and believe me when I say at times I miss it - sometimes lol too much.

Panadol.

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Tiny village near the Mekong, eh ? Col Kurtz, Martin Sheen rang and apparently they really need you more than ever ! :stirthepo:clown:

There is a price to be paid for every choice we make - even Hef doesn't get it all his own way.

Well I was a Captain in the Australian Army when I was studying Medicine at the University of Queensland and the Colonel was bonkers - so uncannily you've made an astute comment - congrats. I'm a big fan of apocalypse now so it did used to occur to me how easily influenced these pastoral folk can be.

I'm not sure I understand your point however - quoting cliches at me is dangerous...

Tiny village near the Mekong, eh ? Col Kurtz, Martin Sheen rang and apparently they really need you more than ever ! :stirthepo:clown:

There is a price to be paid for every choice we make - even Hef doesn't get it all his own way.

Also Gobble, I thought maybe I should pm you, but I'm not so sure you'd answer. You are obviously a very social person. When I discourage you from settling down in regional towns - it's because I know you'll wilt there. It's nothing personal - you post so much - so hence I've got to know you - and I can make certain conclusions. It sounds brutal - but you just will not fit in there - you will be unhappy without a scrap of doubt. I'm sorry to be the one to say it.

as i said a few weeks ago i have little cash and would be happy to move to upcountry thailand and just work the land each day and see what happens.

we might fall out within a week and i get thrown out or we could be together for 30 years,who knows?.

i know i would have to forget most things i have grown up with but that does'nt really bother me.

the drink consumption will decrease by 95% but i would get used to that,as long as i have my cigarettes i would be happy.

just living off the land as much as i could would be a great challenge but one i would like to have a try at.

it would be a great way to live out my days.

sitting on a deckchair watching the sun go down with a beer in hand each night would be a perfect way to finish every day.

but like i say just a dream and nothing wrong with dreaming about something you want,even though you know it will never happen.

There's a few farang farmers around, ThaiVisa has a whole subforum devoted to it.

I think it's just a hobby for many, we make a little money from our fruit trees but I would hate to live off it.

You'd be better investing what cash you have for a monthly return than buying land with the intentions of living off it.

The reference to Kurtz was an attempt at humor, hence the emoticons, but you seem like a very serious chap so I wont go there.

I got the humour - sorry my response was so abrupt.

This might sound crazy - but I like you Gobble. You are the one - ain't you just? Well just you ain't? Or you ain't? I love English because I can twist it around your little finger - christ! you've got no idea - I'm sure you don't know anything my little fan - just how far I can bend you.

I'm serious sometimes because life doesn't deal the fairest hand. So there's no need to take offence at that! I'm one of the lucky ones - I can play on the pheriphery of sorts. I got dealt a good hand - if you hate me for that then you need to fight back. This is not meant to torment you - rather enlighten you. There's too many duds and frauds out there - can you blame me for being the slightest cynical?

I'm Scandanavian by nature I think - I don't dwell on something that logically makes no sense.

You must have more than a "little cash" if you're taking two holidays in Thailand in the space of a few months.

pissed off,i wrote what i thought was an intelligent reply and then windows fucked me up and i lost it.... :cussing:

but i'll try again and condense it.

panadolsandwich's post was interesting reading,it's the kind of thing i would like to experience.

i worked non-stop from 1976 until 2010 when i was sacked.

my pay-off settled all my debts and all i have in the bank is mine.... :elephant:

2 trips to thailand in quick-time will diminish the funds i have left so this could be my visit(but then again i said that in 2002 and 2005).

i'm 51 and after having a comfortable job for 31 years i am having to look at the trauma of trying to find another job at my age and that will not be easy.

i just don't forward to going back to the drudge of a '9-5' job.

panadolsandwich at least gave it a go and realised it was'nt for him and i understand that.

i know i would regret it if i did'nt seriously think about it and would regret my cowardice in not exploring the in's and out's.

what would my chances of clearing out my bank account and then losing myself and getting off the radar?.

Archived