They Think I'm Stupid

sayjann

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

fwiw, my sole experience with Nok Air was excellent, back in 2008 between Udon and Don Muang. Very cute FAs (the girls werent bad either !). :clown:

i flew nok air this year and while a bit more expensive then airasia i would have no problem flying with them again.

surprised to get a free food from them for such a short flight between bkk and hkt.

the service was rushed but what do you expect on a short flight and i had to take the last of my food off the plane when we landed.

good looking ladies and i liked the uniforms..... :applause:

but still cannot get any info on flight times between phuket and roi et,just cannot access the website... :banghead:

but looking at their site it seems i cannot fly direct to roi et which is a pain.

like i say i will wait until i get to bkk and just inquire about availability/times/prices.

i will have a window of 4-6 days and but i know i will be leaving things too late to arrange anything but no harm in asking.

but having to wait a couple of days to getting flights will probably mess things up....

thanks Flash for the link.

but it seems that no flights from phuket,only bkk and is it a pain grtting from the new to the old airports?.

having to get flights from phuket to bkk and then to roi et could be a pain.

i want to do it but as i said the time taken would be a problem for me.

if i could get a return package from phuket to roi et i would seriously go for it.

what is the nearest airport to roi et which goes from phuket?.

Sayjann, Airasia fly Phuket to Udon Thani (I got a quick quote of 5000 Baht return just a moment ago). Then Udon Thani to Roi Et is say about two to two and a half hours by car or four hours by bus. Maybe a friend of hers or family can pick you up otherwise best bet is rent a car in Udon - there are plenty and cheap too. That way when you've get to the village you've got the freedom to go where you please. Although in my experience you'll always get offered at the very least a motorbike by someone to get you around the place.

Phuket to Roi Et - say half a day max. - not too bad.

Let's budget this -

Two return tickets: 10000 Baht

Two day rental car: 2500 Baht (a bit on the high side)

Expenses: ~2500 Baht (taxis, gifts, tuk tuks etc - high side estimate)

Savings from not being in Phuket - ???? Okay let's say two nights hotel at 2500 per night = 5000 (I've never been to Phuket)

Anyhow you're looking at about 15,000 - perhaps 10,000 if your staying at a hotel in Phuket. So perhaps $350 to $500 for the trip. Of course you would save a lot if you got the bus from Udon or the lift from her friends or relatives.

Sounds like your best bet would be to get there on the ground in Phuket - work out what the situation is then play it from there. If it's a green light book the flights right away. If you are getting on like a house on fire with the girl it might be worth only booking a one way ticket and booking the return later.

I hope you go ahead and do it - I envy you - I really love these type of trips where there's a kind of adventure to it. Try to brush up on your Thai and Isaan if you can beforehand and of course the very best Good Luck!!!

thanks PS,that was the sort of info i was looking for.

i have a window of travel between 27-31 of december which would mean 4 nights spent in roi et and 3 full days having a look around.

udon thani would be a great choice as not only is the flight direct but the flight times are convienent.

quoted just over 11,000bt for 2 people having return flights which is acceptable to me.

hotel on phuket already for so i would just explain i was going away for a few days,never had a problem before.

getting abus to roi et would be no problem for me and she might be able to arrange family/friend to pick us up?.

would have no accomodation problems in roi et and while i would'nt bother hiring a car i think we might get a loan of a bike as you think.

maybe she could persuade one of her relatives to lend us a car?.

but i see a few obstacles in my way.

i would book the flights immediately but fear wasting my cash if for any reason i don't get to see her.

11,000bt would be wasted and while i would be able to afford it i just don't like the idea.

i see a problem with taking her out the bar at that time for so long and it will require serious negotiation with her boss over that matter.

but i will be insistant as i know i will have to book flights the day after i get to phuket.

but obviously i would have to talk long and hard with my gal and make sure we would okay getting to roi et and somewhere to stay,i don't really want to have to pay for a hotel when we get there.

flights are available now but i fear that 5 days before i would like to fly the flight will be full.

hopefully most people will have arranged their travel plans over the period long before i want to and seats on the plane will still be available.

but i'm flexible on the dates of travel,a day either way not a problem.

the easiest thing for me would to tell my gal all my plans and what she needs to do at her end but i just want it to be a surprise when i turn up at her bar.

she was already talking about visiting family in december and i managed to persuaded her to delay those plans and she says she will tell everyone she cannot come until after my visit.

and of course the worst scenario is turning up at the bar and she already has a fella and is unable to get out of any arrangement.

going to the bar and seeing her with another fella will not be good for me.

would mean i would have to not visit again.

at the moment i'm excited about the thought of an adventure but must brace myself for disappointment.

after an hour or so i thought 'why not' and tried to book flights and take a chance.

never haver had a problem with airasia over the years but this years i had problems with their website and had to go through a long process of calling them and speaking to someone,but i got my flights.

just tried to book the flights and while no problem giving my details i was asked to give details of my gal.

passport number/address and i have no idea of those details so it looks like i will have to wait to book the flights until i get there and have her with me to provide all her details....

while i am eager to do this trip i see more problems in my way.

i could tell her of my arrival and my plans and spoil the surprise i had planned,my arrival and the trip to her city.

but while we chat everyday on hotmail i don't think she will get the gist of my requests as while her english skills are good but reading what i have to tell her will be difficult for her to comprehend.

i will e-mail her bosses husband who is english and ask him to get as much info about the details i need but i don't hold out much hope in that matter.

looks like i'm on a limb here and things will not work out.

even though her boss has been a friend for around 11 years i still think she will prove to be spoke in the wheel and scupper all plans.

we shall see.............

after an hour or so i thought 'why not' and tried to book flights and take a chance.

never haver had a problem with airasia over the years but this years i had problems with their website and had to go through a long process of calling them and speaking to someone,but i got my flights.

just tried to book the flights and while no problem giving my details i was asked to give details of my gal.

passport number/address and i have no idea of those details so it looks like i will have to wait to book the flights until i get there and have her with me to provide all her details....

while i am eager to do this trip i see more problems in my way.

i could tell her of my arrival and my plans and spoil the surprise i had planned,my arrival and the trip to her city.

but while we chat everyday on hotmail i don't think she will get the gist of my requests as while her english skills are good but reading what i have to tell her will be difficult for her to comprehend.

i will e-mail her bosses husband who is english and ask him to get as much info about the details i need but i don't hold out much hope in that matter.

looks like i'm on a limb here and things will not work out.

even though her boss has been a friend for around 11 years i still think she will prove to be spoke in the wheel and scupper all plans.

we shall see.............

Sayjann I've been flying Airasia what seems about everyday for the last month - and all the planes are half empty. Obviously I can't predict how they are going to fare over the new year period - but if you're not prepared to book now then budget another 5000 baht - you'll get something I think no matter what - I don't think that route is particularly popular.

However I'm well aware of the limitations of their online booking process. In a past job I've programmed a software application that models fluid mechanics - however even I'm initially stumped on how to cancel their stupid 'travel insurance'!

I've booked maybe 100 or more flights with Airasia - the most recent one, two weeks ago, and I can assure you that you can just leave the passport / address area blank and click okay to go to the next page - the payment page I think. The only thing you need from the lady is her full name (obviously not her nickname). Surely you can get that directly from her? Just lie and say you're thinking about sending her some perfume or something like that if you don't already have it. Or you could send her some perfume - believe me that sort of gesture will go a long way. Anyhow of course that's all up to you.

Now these are simple practical matters - easy to fix. What troubles me more is your self defeating attitude. I don't really know you - but I can bet that you've got a lot going for you. There is nothing more appealing to a south east Asian girl than a self-confident guy. If you exert an air of authority, the willingness to make important (or trivial) decisions with a finality that brooks no discussion - it's all the better. The opposite is unthinkable so I won't go there.

To put it bluntly - you've got to wear the pants here in Asia. Be prepared to walk away, don't put up with any shit and feel free to boss them about and tell them what to do - it sounds odd but they'll love you the more for it. Asia never had a feminist revolution like the West did - but don't worry it's in the post. We're just the lucky bastards that can experience it before the inevitable happens.

Which leads me onto my next point - why set yourself up for failure? You seem smitten so just forget all about this surprise thing you are planning and give her the date you are going to be there. I know that sounds harsh, but she will appreciate it. All the stuff you don't prefer to think about will also be conveniently shelved and put out of your way and you can just meet her and be happy. That way you've got something substantial to come to - which will also be a comforting thought when you board the plane.

Life *is* complex - but some things don't need to be. Best of Luck.

Sayjann I've been flying Airasia what seems about everyday for the last month - and all the planes are half empty. Obviously I can't predict how they are going to fare over the new year period - but if you're not prepared to book now then budget another 5000 baht - you'll get something I think no matter what - I don't think that route is particularly popular.

However I'm well aware of the limitations of their online booking process. In a past job I've programmed a software application that models fluid mechanics - however even I'm initially stumped on how to cancel their stupid 'travel insurance'!

I've booked maybe 100 or more flights with Airasia - the most recent one, two weeks ago, and I can assure you that you can just leave the passport / address area blank and click okay to go to the next page - the payment page I think. The only thing you need from the lady is her full name (obviously not her nickname). Surely you can get that directly from her? Just lie and say you're thinking about sending her some perfume or something like that if you don't already have it. Or you could send her some perfume - believe me that sort of gesture will go a long way. Anyhow of course that's all up to you.

Now these are simple practical matters - easy to fix. What troubles me more is your self defeating attitude. I don't really know you - but I can bet that you've got a lot going for you. There is nothing more appealing to a south east Asian girl than a self-confident guy. If you exert an air of authority, the willingness to make important (or trivial) decisions with a finality that brooks no discussion - it's all the better. The opposite is unthinkable so I won't go there.

To put it bluntly - you've got to wear the pants here in Asia. Be prepared to walk away, don't put up with any shit and feel free to boss them about and tell them what to do - it sounds odd but they'll love you the more for it. Asia never had a feminist revolution like the West did - but don't worry it's in the post. We're just the lucky bastards that can experience it before the inevitable happens.

Which leads me onto my next point - why set yourself up for failure? You seem smitten so just forget all about this surprise thing you are planning and give her the date you are going to be there. I know that sounds harsh, but she will appreciate it. All the stuff you don't prefer to think about will also be conveniently shelved and put out of your way and you can just meet her and be happy. That way you've got something substantial to come to - which will also be a comforting thought when you board the plane.

Life *is* complex - but some things don't need to be. Best of Luck.

thanks for the info..... :up:

it seems i had not read the booking process properly and i decided to go for it and book the flights for me and my gal.

got the confirmation from the airline via e-mail immediately and at a lower price.

i just had to input her passport name and i hope that is the correct name on her passport.

i only know her name from her e-mail address and facebook address and hope it's correct for the ticket to fly.

if not i hope we can sort out any difference at the airport.

well i've gone for it and hopefully surprise her with the ticket when i see her,i know she will be thrilled.

but i still have reservations that my cash has been wasted.

she won't be in her bar or she will be hooked up with another fella,but hopefully the thought of me taking her to her city will sway her.

and i also know i will have problems with her boss but hopefully i will get her husband to berate her and agree to let her go for a few days.

when i tell her she will have 3/4 days to arrange transport to her home with many phonecalls,but a bus trip will be alright for me as i will be excited.

but thanks again PS for all your help in this matter.

hopefully i will be able to send a trip report of my experience.

Prices on Air Asia seem to change from day to day and minute to minute. I remember talking to the reservation girl once about prices, and she admitted she didn't even know what the prices would be in a day or two.

p.s. I just remembered a trip up north with my then not-yet-Mrs. She didn't want to be seen travelling with a Farang, so we had to arrive at the bus station separately and act as if we didn't know each other. Of course, we'd booked seats together earlier. We boarded the bus without a word and after a while, I started chatting her up, introducing myself and asking who she was and where she was going. She smiled and pinched me under the blanket for my cheekiness. Women! :)

Prices on Air Asia seem to change from day to day and minute to minute. I remember talking to the reservation girl once about prices, and she admitted she didn't even know what the prices would be in a day or two.

p.s. I just remembered a trip up north with my then not-yet-Mrs. She didn't want to be seen travelling with a Farang, so we had to arrive at the bus station separately and act as if we didn't know each other. Of course, we'd booked seats together earlier. We boarded the bus without a word and after a while, I started chatting her up, introducing myself and asking who she was and where she was going. She smiled and pinched me under the blanket for my cheekiness. Women! :)

prices on airasia do vary.

thought about going away on 27-12 and coming back 31-12 but going and coming back a day earlier saves me 1000bt which is strange to me.

i would have thought the price would be higher on a bank holiday but it seems not to be.....

that's if it's a bank holiday in thailand

Archived