Obama: Plain Stupid Or Naieve?

Hugh_Hoy

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I remember an old Doonesbury cartoon set around the time of the Iran/Contra business where one character has been out of contact with the world for a few weeks and asks another what has been going on in the news. When told he laughs and and accuses his friend of making it up.

post-13410-0-87694400-1323924956.png

I don't know HH, I recall it and they were f*cking with us. We started out demanding and ended up 'reggretting'. We got punked (bullied) as we say back in Philly. The Chinese held their ground and made us back down from all the initial saber rattling Bush was doing.

I agree it was right to say 'regrettable' in order to spare lives but the initial verbiage wasn't a good move.

Nothing Obama could do in the current case. All he can do is ask for it back. Iran don't have to do shit and its stupid to go to war over a drone. As far as self destruct mechanisms these are the same drones that Bush approved as well. If Obama should have them installed so should Bush. Howeer, neither can be blamed. Its a military device. You rely on the military to put out the best weaponry and safeguards. One doesn't say 'Did you guys remember to put in a self destruct option in case its shot or brought down?'.

Also, we have a drone over a sovereign nation. I understan the reasoning. We are trying to find information on their nuke capability amongst other things and although we may feel justified, the fact is we have a spy device over a sovereign nation. We wouldn't stand for that over America so I can't be upset with the Iranians for doing a big middle finger about giving it back. We wouldn't if we got one.

On a side note, I'll write on Iran as well. They are demonized in our press and to a large extent its justified. I don't agree their having a nuke is as big of a deal as it is. I don't want them to have one. I would hope we and others could prevent them from getting the technology and materials for one but the bottom line is they will probaby have one and they will not use it offensively. North Korea and Pakistan are much crazier and they are too scared to use it. Iran know full well they will be a parking lot if they use it. The biggest fear I have is selling or giving the technology or a dirty bomb to terrorists or another country. That fear isn't huge. They know if they are caught and its easy to find out because they will have a unique signature to their uranium. Its not worth it. It happens (No. Korea selling to Pakistan) but its dicey. Sanctions, etc.

The most irresponsible thing said by the Republican candidates so far is that they will not let Iran have nukes under any circumstances. Completely irresponsible thing to say. First, its not true. They know there is nothing they can do about it.

Guest lazyphil

Not reaching at all.

First, Colin Powell did not "apologize" for the incident. He merely said that the U.S. "regretted" the happening.

Second, 2 dozen U.S. military personnel were also in the custody of the Chinese. (Some called them "hostages".) It was believed that the most advanced electronics had been destroyed by the crew.) Would've been a real tough call to bring in planes to bomb our captured aircraft, not knowing whether or not some of our guys/women were still in or around the aircraft. Tactically, much more feasible in the instant case. Our current "commander"-in-chief is doing just what he said he would: "talk nicely" and our foes will respond positively. LOL. To answer my own question: He's both plain stupid and naieve. I'd compare him to a bucket of water, but that would be insulting H20.

HH

really too bad colin powell didn't make the oval office instead of this knob jockey obama

really too bad colin powell didn't make the oval office instead of this knob jockey obama

Allegedly, Powell promised his wife he wouldn't run. She was afraid he'd be shot. Powell would have been far better though, tons of experience to offer - and no chip on his shoulder. He was raised in a normal loving family.

Archived