Year Of The Black Dragon

Horneytorney

Although the twelve animals are used in the 'branch' system, you also have the 'stems' where apparently they also use the five elements - metal, water, wood, fire and earth - to further classify the year. The colors are associated with the elements - water = black, metal = white, wood = green, fire = red and earth = brown.

Some further reading:

http://www.chinesefortunecalendar.com/NewYearDays.htm

so a black dragon is a water dragon?

Correct

AS VK stated there are 12 Branches (Animals) and 5 Stems (Elements) making a total of 60 combinations of characteristics.

It is more common for the element name to be used than it's associated colour but they have the same meaning.

Kong aka The Green Wood Dragon

As a side note, my interest in Chinese Astrology and Asia on a whole started for me nearly 40 years ago coming from my sisters Mother in Law. She was a not only from a Nationalist family but also Catholic so when Mao Zedong Communist Party came to power in October 1949 her family fled to Hong Kong (Most Nationalist fled to Tawain).

Because of her English skills she landed a job at the British Embassy in Hong Kong where she met her husband, a serving officer in the British Royal Navy based in HK at the time, they came to the UK in the early 60's.

Even when I was only 9 or 10 years old I would sit and chat with her for hours about Asia and Chinese astrology, my parents put her down as an eccentric at the time but it truly fascinated me. The majority of things she told me that would happen to me in my life based on my birth sign have basically proven true.

Similar to my religious beliefs as an Agnostic, I have very little time for astrology either but Chinese Astrology is closer to the mark than western. So blame my Sisters Mother in Law for me moving to Asia when I was 24 years old in a Dragon year, and will have been in Asia for 24 years later on this year.

Kong

Archived