$4300 Landed In My Account From Previous Employer

belfastish

ok before i start read this as if in my shoes dont just answer because you want people to think your mr perfect!! ,say what you would really do!!

i left my engineering company 3 months ago to work a fly in fly out gas exploration job in qld,last week i looked through my online statement to check if i payed a credit card,i noticed $116 put into my account from previous employer,little money didnt think anything of it.

i did my fifo job just for a few months(6weeks on 2weeks off sounds good but too long)i went to los @ xmas and went to perth early january to look a 2week on 1 week off job in mining.

arriving in perth with hope of a job turned to experience needed,13yrs of manufacture in aerospace doesnt mean much without recent time on a mining role.With limited spare money to look for a job (without touching my house deposit savings) i checked my balance today $4300 put in from my old engineering employer.

now normally i can see peoples point of 'give it back its not yours'BUT this company didnt pay our super(pension)which they must do at least every 3 months by law,they didnt pay for 10months,the only way we found this out was a letter asking if we want to close our pension account,after this a meeting was held with the accountant(the boss didnt come)after heavy interrogation the accountant said he knew about it months ago but was trying to repay it back(blamed new software)funny enough this was 3 weeks before the tax year making the books look good for boeing to give them more work(one guy put all his wage into this pension as his wife was a nurse and they where near retirement)

the accountant promised us a in depth update and all payment and interest to be payed back,the payment did go in but update from account never happened!!

SO now im thinking karma,thanks for funding a 3 week trip back to los,to me they havent 100% to stand on as they messed us about,if i have to give it back im thinking $20 a month.

views postive and neg,advice on legal side

These things happen, I unwillingly gave the government $2,500 I thought I owed them a few years back and last year they gave it back to me without explanation.

Could my luck be entering a new seven year cycle?

I got a business class upgrade on Emirates last week.... :cheerleader:

Just keep and if you're ever challenged as to why you didn't return it you can say that you though it was the unpaid superannuation. :up:

saw a story about an indian or pakistani teacher went to his bank to with draw some of his $200 a month salary.

he was shocked to discover his balance was $20 million or maybe $20 billion in credit.....figures may be wrong and i apologise if i got them wrong.

he went straight to a cashier and queried the amount... :doah:

was told it was a mistake and told the money was not his.

but a few days later the cash was still in his account and no-one knew where it came from and who actually owned it.

if it was me i would have withdrawn as much money as i could on a daily basis and then disappeared.

someone else's mistake and not mine.

i know the bank would have eventually discovered the truth and been looking for me,but who knows how long that would take?.

i know i would eventually get caught and had to be punished for my crime.

but i would have had a good,good time for a while.

i was expecting to get the father talk 555 cool, i was thinking it may have been compensation for the super balls up,but still seems high,no letter and im in contact on facebook with ex employees(which i have and will say no more to them)im hoping for a rollover next month

saw a story about an indian or pakistani teacher went to his bank to with draw some of his $200 a month salary.

he was shocked to discover his balance was $20 million or maybe $20 billion in credit.....figures may be wrong and i apologise if i got them wrong.

he went straight to a cashier and queried the amount... :doah:

was told it was a mistake and told the money was not his.

but a few days later the cash was still in his account and no-one knew where it came from and who actually owned it.

if it was me i would have withdrawn as much money as i could on a daily basis and then disappeared.

someone else's mistake and not mine.

i know the bank would have eventually discovered the truth and been looking for me,but who knows how long that would take?.

i know i would eventually get caught and had to be punished for my crime.

but i would have had a good,good time for a while.

i was expecting to get the father talk 555 cool, i was thinking it may have been compensation for the super balls up,but still seems high,no letter and im in contact on facebook with ex employees(which i have and will say no more to them)im hoping for a rollover next month

a work colleague of mine discovered he had been paid 7 times his normal monthly salary and while confiding in friends decided not to mention the fact to the employers.

but as a safeguard he consulted several legal firms and they all said the same thing.

as long as he left the money in the account and did'nt spend any of it for a certain period of time then it would be deemed he had not tried to defraud anyone by spending it.

it was up to his employers to discover their mistake and take the money back and all he had to do was plead ignorance of the extra cash.

i am the sort of person who has no idea what is in my account until i look every once in a while and am then horrified what i have spent.

i have not at my bank balance for around 4 months now.

anyway he kept quiet about his windfall and evevtually the mistake was discovered but he was allowed to keep the cash as the timeframe had passed.

he had a good holiday with his young family and was the happiest person alive for a long time.

...i am the sort of person who has no idea what is in my account until i look every once in a while and am then horrified what i have spent. i have not at my bank balance for around 4 months now...

Must be nice to have so much money that you don't need to check how much you've actually got left!

this company didnt pay our super(pension)which they must do at least every 3 months by law

If this is an aussie company or employer, and this happens again and they refuse to pay - simply call the ATO and they will pay the super straight into your account (once they ascertain the money is owing, which is easy). The ATO then simply send them a bill at tax time.

Often mentioning this to the employer is enough to make them cough up. It has happened to me once or twice, and mentioning the Tax Office makes things happen..

Must be nice to have so much money that you don't need to check how much you've actually got left!

Conversely it must be so sad having to check ones bank balance regularly to ensure one can cover the next months expenditure, especially having spent so many years as an expat. No I am not bragging as you have often accused me of such, but I could only guesstimate my liquid assets to within plus/minus GBP 10K but I am aware of the numbers of hundred K's. The only reason I check my online accounts frequently is to ensure that my accounts have not been hacked.

30 odd years ago as a first year apprentice on GBP 36.76 / week I did follow every penny, I have moved on since then.

Archived