90 Day Crap Again

khunsanuk

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The idiot "English teacher" is in for a rude shock, if he ever tries to leave the country legally. He will be arrested at the airport of land crossing and sent to the slammer. Eventually, he may be deported after a length stay in a cell and a big fine.

Bizarrely, most Thais seem to believe that all foreigners are filthy rich. Taxi drivers sometimes ask me how much I make, and they usually wonder how many SAEN (hundreds of thousands of baht). Now and then some arsehole writes to the Bangkok Post or Nation, advocating that work permits be made to cost half a million baht, since Farangs are as rich as King Midas. It is amazing the stupid notions Thais have about everyone except themselves. I may get silly ideas when I've been drinking, but Thais get them when they are stone sober.

I think the 90 day address report and the hassle of having to actually show up in person for your yearly extension renewal and all the other stuff associated with immigration is more a sign of Thai bureaucracy then any dislike of Farangs. If you look at how things have changed in the last 10 years, it is all driven by a reaction to some people trying to get defraud the system and the Thai bureaucracy clumsily trying to stop it. Having to deal with other Thai government agencies will quickly tell you it’s not personal, it’s just they why they think and react.

I’m a bit amused that people that have lived here for a long time and even speak the language take it all so personally and exhibit such signs of what I refer to “farang paranoia†accompanied with a strong dose of ethnocentricity. Stick is likely the most visible example of that. The people that quote him without ever having left Sukhumvit are rather sad.

Don’t get me wrong, I get just as upset and frustrated having to deal with it, but I don’t take it personally or as a sign of hating farangs, you just have to witness how the bureaucrats treat their own to see, as with just about everything else, we actually are much better off.

Th

Hi,

I am certain bureaucracy plays a big part of this, but keep in mind that the rules were created in the first place. Nor does bureaucracy explain the disparacy of the crime/fine relationship.

As for the other issue, could it be that those who have lived here a long time and speak the language actually get to deal with Thais more than those who are here on fat expat salaries with staff taking care of all the bureaucracy issues for them?

Sanuk!

You seem to think because our HR staff prepares my extension package each year and does my 90 reports you have more experience with Thai bureaucracy than me?

Have you ever dealt with the major corporation office of the Thai Revenue Dept? Dealt with the BOI in trying to get an exemption for a $350 million USD major project? How about the Thai customs in getting 30 million USD worth of construction equipment imported on a temporary permit? Or what may be the worst, PTT’s accounting dept in getting them pay $100 million USD in approved invoices?

It may come as a surprise to you, but I get that fat expat salary for a reason, and a key one is my ability to deal with Thais and their bureaucracy. Being able to get to the core issues and understand what is driving the behavior in order to come up with a solution is what I do.

The reason 90 day address report is very easy to understand. It comes from the fact that when you enter on a Non-Imm visa you fill out a form that has your address in Thailand on it and you get 90 days permission to stay. Since you once you get the extension, you are no longer leaving after 90 days and they need a piece of paper to replace the form you filled out when you arrived. Basically meaningless? Silly? Yes, of course, but they are bureaucrats and they must have their paper. To change that requirement would require a rewriting of the immigration law by Parliament.

Is the fine out of line with crime when compared to a speeding ticket? Yes, but then, traffic violations in Thailand are grossly under penalized across the board, as they tend to be in all developing countries. When Thailand moves further along with serious traffic enforcement, you can be sure the penalties will become much stiffer, just as they have in developing countries. What was the penalty for drunk driving in the West 40 years ago?

What you are indulging in is nothing more than projecting your mistake onto immigration. It’s a stupid law; the fine is excessive, etc, etc. You have lived here a long time but you forgot to do it, accept responsibility and quit whining about it. They have a reason for the 90 day report rule that they are happy with it.

A more rational rant would have been about how stupid we all can be sometimes and how that can cost us money and not project your own stupid [in]actions onto somebody else.

TH

Hi,

Please point out where I said it is not my fault for reporting late?

I am well aware it was my own fuck up, but that doesn't change the fact that I think having to do this at all is moronic and that the fine is too high. It was those last 2 things I was bitching about.

Sanuk!

I’m a bit amused that people that have lived here for a long time and even speak the language take it all so personally and exhibit such signs of what I refer to “farang paranoia†accompanied with a strong dose of ethnocentricity. Stick is likely the most visible example of that. The people that quote him without ever having left Sukhumvit are rather sad.

Ouch.

I'll have you know, sir, that I *have* left Suk, briefly, to visit the outer reaches of KSR. :grinyes:

I dont know why Stick and other unhappy campers dont simply leave, but there is no shortage of people who arrived in the 90s and clearly dont appreciate the changes of the last 15-20 years. Such is life.

Hi,

I think a part of this may also be the amount of money one has. I am certain life here, and how you are treated by Thais, is totally different if one makes 300K+/month or if one makes 30K/month. Same everywhere I suppose, but where on that scale one resides might well influence how one (feels about how one) is treated.

And for the record, I am not on either of those amounts :)

Sanuk!

<< The reason 90 day address report is very easy to understand. It comes from the fact that when you enter on a Non-Imm visa you fill out a form that has your address in Thailand on it and you get 90 days permission to stay. Since you once you get the extension, you are no longer leaving after 90 days and they need a piece of paper to replace the form you filled out when you arrived. >>

Ah, so that explains why I was able to work here from 1973 until about 2001 before I had to start reporting every 90 days. :hmmm:

Archived