"Poor" Little Somtam Girl *DELETED*

DB,

Well, I'm doubled surprised about that.......

First, because it looks like a high figure, secondly because you did not attach a data sheet with all details........

Cheers !

PS : I'm sorry I called you Kevin last nite, should have been Michael......smile.gif

Nice little figure, 2000 a day.

That is what English teachers with around 5 yrs expirience get in Oz. My first salary as a programmer (with Uni degree) was 60% of that and I was staying up 16-18 hours a day.

Would that mean she sells 80-100 meals a day? Not unreasonable if she's there 16-18 hours a day.

• [color:blue]"My first salary as a programmer (with Uni degree) was 60% of that and I was staying up 16-18 hours a day."color=blue>

I can almost second this.

Today I am working for taxes.

@ 10 dishes an hour, for 12 hours a day, she is working her ass off for not much more then minimum wage. It takes at least 3 minutes to mix a dish, that is if the papaya is already shredded. 10 an hour means she only has 6 minutes to prepare each dish. And she must keep up that pace for 12 straight hours.

Even teaching school in OZ must be easier...

TH

Heh, ain't qualified to teach in Oz.

I'm assuming a SomTam price of 25 baht as that's what my friends' say. Yes some items are 20 baht, then again some items are 30 baht. There are differences in ingredients in dishes and then again the quality as well.

Assuming 25 baht per dish. Ingredients at 8-9 baht. I think this is a bit low but hey.

As for mixing the Som Tam, I'm sure there has to be some economies of scale and some ability to mix more than one dish at a time during the high period. She also has slow time in which to prepare ingredients for the high demand periods.

Ingredients aren't that expensive. Take a quick stroll through Klong Toey market. Rama IV prices are significantly different from Sukhumvit and then Klong Toey market is another step lower than Rama IV (where I live, as I know where Klong Toey market is too smile.gif

<<burp>>

So with 2000 baht per day to be made, would it be possible for the old farang to supply the cart and the ingredients, pay a reasonable daily wage to a hired Thai, and make a nice profit of, say, 1000 baht per day?

Buy four carts and retire.

Or would I be better off just buying a bar?

"So with 2000 baht per day to be made, would it be possible for the old farang to supply the cart and the ingredients, pay a reasonable daily wage to a hired Thai, and make a nice profit of, say, 1000 baht per day?

Buy four carts and retire. "

My relatives do this in Korat. They have 3 noodles carts being work by someone else. After all expenses they make about 1500-2000 baht per day.

I'm thinking about doing the samething....since I have no skills or brains.

Archived