Australians GO HOME!

Stickman

Two of the explosives used in Bali -- ammonium nitrate and TNT -- authorities say, have been stockpiled by the Jemaah Islamiya (JI).

With the level of corruption in Thailand the fertilizer is probably counterfeit and wont work.

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Says harlequinbkk:

I think My Cow Jai has hit the nail on the head. These overly cautious warnings are mainly to protect the backsides of senior civil servants who work in Foreign Affairs Departments.

The next time one of these site specific warnings turns out to be true will be the first time.

Lets think back. Has any gonernment put out a reiable warning in the past. And I am not counting the obvious like bomb warnings in Columbia when the cartels were very active, nor Lebanon at the height. But something similar to a warning of a terrorist threat in Thailand. Ever? Anyone? anyplace? Anytime????

Maybe the warings helped from time to time. But everytime???????? ::

Islamic terrorist in Thailand? I just don't get it.

Sure, terrorists attacks on foreigners (mostly military/govt targets BTW) in Egypt, Indonesia, Philipines, other predominately muslim nations. It's basicly saying 'F*CK YOU FOREIGN INFIDELS. STAY OUT OF OUR COUNTRY."

Sure, attacks on American soil. Basisically saying "F*CK AMERICA".

There is a very flacid islamic sepratist movement in southern thailand, but I hardly think they'll move to killing tourists. As for foriegn terrorists, are they really that interested in saying "F*CK THAILAND!"?? I think not.

But what do I know about the minds of terrorists.

Stickman you friend got it wrong they where talking about Indonisia, I know I work for a Television Station in Australia I did all the news updates for the last 2 days till 7.30pm Tonight being 23rd October 2002, they are just telling people who go to Thailand to take care and be alert

"The next time one of these site specific warnings turns out to be true will be the first time."

Didn't the U.S. government issue a warning about Bali just the day before the blast?

And I think Thailand would be a sensible target, because it's NOT a Muslim nation and a lot of Westerners can be hit in one fell swoop.

Says joeyjojo:

They wouldn't blow up the Grace coffee shop! Half of Al-Quida would be taken out if anything happened to that building. Safest place in Bkk, I would guess.

But if they did do anything to thailand , ex NANA.. The Thai police would come down very very hard on any muslim and where do all the muslims hang out>? Around the grace.. Everyone in the area would be rounded up and not-to- peacefully have their ass kicked into a thai prison within mins. If it was really bad I am sure the crack commandos would put a bullet in everyone with a towel on their head

"many parts have near anarchic conditions due to the powervacuum left by the fall of Suharto"

Disagree Fly.

If anything there was more anarchy when Suharto and his goons were running the show, (not that the army still isn't kicking ass). Would you rather have a murderous dictator back?

Agreed.

Any public warnings are spin-doctoring. If there was any "real" concern for the safety of citizens, Western/Indonesian/Balinese or otherwise the respective governments giving warnings wouldn't still be flogging arms & assistance to the region. For instance the Indonesian army, supplied and assisted by the UK, US and OZ actively assist one of these Islamic armies in Indonesia.

Talk about double standards.

Says Siam Sam:

Didn't the U.S. government issue a warning about Bali just the day before the blast?

SS,

Was it to the general public? If so, I did not know that. I am not saying it isn't a good target, it seems to be, as well as half the world. All I can do is take reasonable precautions, which are few. I travel with my tourist passport at all times now, don't bring big red white and blue flag shirts etc for children of friends. They still ask for them but I don't.

"Sure, terrorists attacks on foreigners (mostly military/govt targets BTW) in Egypt, Indonesia, Philipines, other predominately muslim nations. It's basicly saying 'F*CK YOU FOREIGN INFIDELS. STAY OUT OF OUR COUNTRY."

In case I missed something, since when is the Phillipines predominantly muslim? As Thailand is primarily Buddhist, Phillipines is primarily Roman Catholic.

Both country's have muslim sepratists, but those in the Phillipines are a much greater threatt. Although maybe we are overlooking the real danger here in Thailand. Maybe the separatists here will turn out to be a bigger threat than we think.

Let's just hope the Thais keep a vigilant eye on them. With a little outside help they could become something.

Archived