The Temple of The Gigantic Jade Buddha

Straycat

Wat Thammamongkhon (alt. Dhammamongkhol)

'Thai Temples. Seen them once, seen them all.' Well, I guess that's what some of you will think. But really give this one a try. I don't think you'll regret it.

I'm sure you'll have a spare afternoon during your vacation/busy work week when nothing else will happen anyway. Take your 'tilac' with you. No problem. It's a bit off the 'beaten track' -- but, luckily, not too far from the farang ghetto; lower sukhumvit.

How to get there:

Taxi to Sukhumvit Soi 101 (left side on Suk coming from Nana), sub soi 20 -- or take sky train to 'On Nut' station and catch a taxi/motorcycle from there.

What's to see:

A modern styled, majestic, Thai temple in a truly beautiful setting. There is also the tallest 'chedi' (pagoda tower where relics of Lord Buddha is stored) that I've ever seen in Thailand. Namely, the 'chedi' is several floors (96 meters tall) tower with a built-in elevator. Furthermore, you'll find an exhibition of old Buddha statues, coins, vases & more. At the ground floor of the 'chedi' you can visit a, I think, farang-run mediation centre. In the top floor chamber of the 'chedi' you'll see a (some would say, faked) photograph of the Lord Buddhas spirit actually visiting the tower. -- Also, do look out for the 'Gigantic Jade Buddha'. It's beautifully placed in a building of it's own that consists only of glass walls and surrounded with water. In that very same building you'll find a giant Guanjin (the chinese godess of mercy, popular among any village girl with a good upbringing). These two holy statutes are made out of a 32 ton block of pure jade!

I tell you, it's worth seeing.

Farang presence:

Very little. The temple is mentioned in some tourist broshures, but it's just not located close enough to Banglamphoo [Wat Po, Grand Palace, etc] to make it worth for tuk-tuks to steer you there by default. A very tranquile place that'll let you think over a thing or two in life, hopefully, for the better. Very 'thai', no touts, no hassles.

Straycat's final judgement (as if this would be necessary):

A good half day time killer with your new found, or old found 'tilac'. Straycat's two thumbs up, definately. Bring a camera.

You want to find out more about the background & history of the temple?

How much does a 32 ton block of pure jade cost and how do you find such a block? Who founded the temple? And how old is it? See the following links for answers and more:

http://www.buddhanet.net/wat_m3.htm

http://www.buddhanet.net/wat_m.htm

http://www.buddhanet.net/wat_m7.htm

Sawasdee pii mai!

Straycat

I don't think that wat is mainstream, went there a couple of years ago with a BG who used to be a nun and who still went there on retreat. I thought the chinese style Buddha really ugly. When she took me she said it would be quiet-there were 5,000 nuns parked all over for some festival. The wat has branches in cananda and the USA. -peter

You might be right that the wat is not mainstream. It has always been very few people visiting when I've been there. The monks quarters though seems to be no different than any other wat I've seen.

The architectural style is definately different than what you usually see. I reckon it's influenced from Indian temples, but I really don't know...Thai's can surprise you when it comes to religious buildings though. I'm specifically thinking about the main wat in Chachengsao; white and cathedral like. Beautiful, but it can't hide the fact it looks like something the smurfs built while high on smurf dope :) Slightly off tangent, but anyway....

• 3 weeks later...

I actually met some Phra from this temmple raising funds in Calgary Canad about 2 years ago.

I was given a booklet for my donation and was told to come say hello while in Thailand.

I think I just left that booklet in a hotel in BKK.

Now that you have re-inforced the idea that it is an interesting.temple I might have to go.

Archived