Buying US dollars in Bangkok?

From previous visits, I know you can buy traveler's checks, but where can you buy dollars in cash? I plan on taking a trip to Cambodia and would prefer to have some cash in hand. Thanks in advance for any advice.

At many banks the availability of dollars for sale can be hit or miss. Also, most are unlikely to have anything smaller than 20s.

I have the most luck at Bangkok Bank. Have done this both at the Soi 3 branch (near the Zenith Hotel) and at the branch on Sukhumvit (at about Soi 8 or 10 or so). For the latter branch you have to go upstairs, bypassing the exchange counter fronting the street. They had some 10s, 5s, and 1s to sell.

[color:"red"] money changer at Siam Suare opposite Siam Discovery Center

[/color]

Before I went to Cambodia, I paid a visit to this place (well, I think I did; not sure about the name, but it was opposite Siam Discovery Centre, on the West side of the street). I got the impression they could change just about any currency, and the rates appeared to be pretty competitive.

The issue of banknote denominations was raised in this thread, and is it important. You will need a goodly amount of $1 and $5 USD banknotes in Cambodia. I was able to get all I needed at this moneychanger. Also, I explained that I needed "clean" money (no jokes about money laundering please!). I understand if a USD banknote is soiled or torn, it may be difficult to pass. The moneychanger was very understanding and cheerfully picked out the "clean" banknotes.

Harlequin

As said before, USD can be bought at almost every bank in BKK. But, why don't take TC to Cambodia? They can be changed at almost every bank, many hotels, money changers and guest-houses (e.g. Capitol). Comission is 2 % - 3%.

Archived