Thai language schools

bgtp

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Anyone have any reviews/comments on these other language schools for learning Thai?

http://thai-language-online.com/resources/Bangkok_schools.shtml

So far, Somchart has been getting alot of praise lately and perhaps affect the availability of instructors or even performance.

I'm looking for a reputable school teaching proper Thai with teachers who are able to teach the Farang "mindset".

While there are schools that stick to traditional methods many have changed to meet the demand of the foriegn clientele, with mixed results. The thing is most of them revolve around individuals and small groups where the students can have much more control of the direction of the teaching process.

Actually for the absolute cutting edge in teaching methodogy you should try AUA which has a course based on the 'Silent Way' theory. Students sit and listen to people recreating real situations. Students are not allowed to try and speak for the first week or so. Writing is introduced after 40 hours or so of instruction.

BTW Poor English skills in Thailand and Asia have more to do with overcrowding, lack of resources, and insufficent training (not to mention no forseeable need to speak English) than teaching methodology.

Wouldn't be more useful to learn the Thai "mindset"?

I was referring to western style of education and not Asian/Thai methods. From what I've found, teaching techniques in Asia revolve around sheer memorization and not comprehension. I may be wrong in this, but if the courses taught in the language schools is nothing but "glorified" flashcards, might as well just buy a book and pester upscale hotel personnel for pronunciation.

As many of you know when speaking to Thais speaking english, all they basically do is convert Thai to english by vocabulary. Meaning, they were taught English by memorization means. An example, "My friend you" --> "Your friend" It'd suck ass to speak the Thai equivalent to "Tinglish".

Archived