translation for 'chip high' anyone?

chilli13

Jasmine,

It would be interesting to know what changes there have been in language usage since you left Thailand. Do you notice changes, pronouns etc ?

Another friend of mine, an older thai women who lives outside Thailand, was expressing her surprise at hearing two young thai female uni students speaking to each other at a bus stop using "guu" and "meung". Id say pretty common these days, almost fashionable.

Do you watch many Thai movies ? The language in modern thai movies can be very colorful. I saw "1+1=0" last night

very colorful language and this language is often imitated by young people. ( not a very good movie! )

My experience is that many bargirls often use a lot of vulgar language which has got to be understandable considering the environment they work in.

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

ai(F) ngang(F) nee(F) maaeng(F) thahm(M) hiia(F) a(L) rai(M) mai(F) dai(F) reuuang(F) sak(H) yaang(L).

= That mother-fucking twit couldn't do any fucking work!

Hey....I don't see 'chip hai' anywhere in there? ::

HT

I am particularly careful not to learn any dirty words in case i mistake them for another word and blurt them out at an inopportune time. From my limited experience it seems that there is nothing that a Thai hates more than a farang using their language in a vulgar manner.

To put that in perspective it would be similar to a Japanesse businessman using the english lanuage skills that he learned in Brixton/Redfern/East LA... comical but embaressing.

Hi,

[color:"red"] Do you watch many Thai movies ? The language in modern thai movies can be very colorful. I saw "1+1=0" last night

very colorful language and this language is often imitated by young people. ( not a very good movie! )

[/color]

No, I read, that is about all.

Yes, I have noticed the speech change amongst young Thais. However, I have also noticed that they change completely when addressing older/respectables individuals.

Cheers! :D

Hi,

[color:"red"] I am particularly careful not to learn any dirty words in case i mistake them for another word and blurt them out at an inopportune time. From my limited experience it seems that there is nothing that a Thai hates more than a farang using their language in a vulgar manner. [/color]

A woman was teaching Thai to a British who liked to learn Thai from many sources. One day he call the teacher "EE Wayne", thinking that it meant "Beautiful". He almost died seeing the way she looked when he called her that.

I just know the vocabularies, don't need to use them.

Cheers! :D

Archived