Cost of Living in Japan

gobbledonk

Thanks again, Kamui, Roppongi and JP1.

Its clear that you all have a soft spot for Japan, despite the current downturn in the economy etc. Refreshing to read such happy recollections - if only all the posts regarding Thailand were equally glowing :-(

One of the guys I used to work with lived in Japan for two years, and is similarly entranced with the place and the people. Let's hope they can get their economy back on track, albeit without the insane boom of the 80's.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

ddude,

spot of thread hijack here, but would you know any good drinking holes in the Ikebukuro area? tried the irish bar..and it sucks, way too many gaijin for my liking. The hub seemed ok...but an excess of pissed up sarrarimen. where do the girlies drink ? or should i just default to Shinjyuku ? :hubba:

later,

Sorry for the belated reply throbb. Ikebukuro's not really on my flight path nowadays so bar names don't come to mind but if you want to avoid foreigners at places like the Black Sheep and the Hub, try a few of the izakaya on the West side up toward the hostess bars and love hotels.

Says artiew:

Thanks, JP1. This was initially bought to my attention by an ad in the local paper offering grads with zero experience the massive sum of $AUD50K. With a bleak outlook for grads at the moment, I'm sure plenty will jump at the chance - I hope they have some sort of financial backup here in Oz.

An English friend of mine joined the JET program but landed one of those special advisor type roles (I forgot the name) with some teaching involved. He was based in Miyazaki and worked there for 3 years, after which he moved to Tokyo. He did wind up saving a fair amount of money each year though he was quite frugal with his spending. In comparison to him, I really wonder where all my money goes....

Cheers!

Archived