'Your Licence please... shit!

Fidel

I was on the way back from work yesterday and I decided to buy a paper. In order to do so I deviated from my usual route.

As I turned off the main road into a busy side street.... one of those little places where the boys in brown can hide their skinny little selves, I was waved down by a cop.

I was wearing my helmet... a real one, not a piece of rubber sliced from a cheap football and tied on with a piece of twine... so I wasn't worried.

When I pulled in the cop asked for my 'Li-cen'. Shit.... 'I don't have one'. This line worked in the past.... simply admitting I don't have one and being told to move on so I expected it to work again.

No, I had to go to the station and pay a 100 baht fine.

I was, it seems, the second person to be caught because in the cop shop there were three pigs, one typing a report, one watching tv and one drinking coffee. There was one other man, a Thai guy, with his blue slip of paper. By the time a cop who felt like doing his job arrived the place was full of angry tourists with fine slips both for helmets and licences.

I had lied and told the cop I had a driving licence at my house but he said.. 'no, bike li-cen'. So, I wonder whats going to happen to the bike rental boys? Those of you after a good deal on a second hand vike are going to be a few baht better off too.

What? You actually stopped when a cop waved you down? Been told you should just wave back and go on your merry way. Hua Hin IS smaller, though; maybe that only works well in Bangkok.

One result from living in THailand for a longish period is that eventually you believe the law should only apply to others. I lost my licence some 2 years ago when it blew out my jacket, so I have none at this point. I regularly ride at out in the country area's at a speed I feel is safe, that may be well over twice the open road speed limit, which I believe is 90 but seen little evidence to support this notion. And then I whinge about corruption when stopped by plod and asked for 200 baht (100 for Thai's) because I'm a farang.

they do get a salary but its not a lot (well the lower ranked ones anyway) which is why they love catching us farangs and demanding double price bribes as 'we can all afford it'.

what makes me laugh is their interpretation of the 'law'

" today we not do helmet .... to day one way .... you go polit stachun "

Archived