How to obtain International Drivers Lic with UK dl

Palatkik

I haven?t done this for ten years, but need a new International Drivers Lic from the UK. Previously this could be done by mail from Thailand to an address in the UK for less than 5 UK?. I heard a rumor one now needs to apply in person which is rather tricky as I never go back to the UK. Any update on current procedure would be appreciated.

Previously this could be done by mail from Thailand to an address in the UK for less than 5 UK?.

Then it was phoney, another scam.

Call your local automobile club (beleive in UK it's the RAC, Royal Automobile Club) take your photo, DL and a few quid and get a real one. ::

There was nothing phoney about it at all. I got my last IDL from the RAC in the UK by post for a 5 quid cheque mailed from LOS.

Can someone confirm this can be done by mail still? I heard that local auto clubs like RAC now need one to show up in person?

Cheers.

Says racha:

The last time I had an International license it was valid 12 months, has this recently changed
:dunno:

No, the licence is valid for 12 months but you are only allowed to use it in LOS (and some other countries) for the first 3 months of your stay.

As you will ususally have to do a border run every 3 months then this is not a problem.

If you have a non immigrant visa though it is possible, and preferrable, to get a Thai licence.

Archived