Good experience at Asavanant Dental Clinic

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Unless your dentist is very different from mine, I think they are using lidocaine. The same thing that is used in the US and most western countries.

My dentist and most dentists in Thailand practice sticking the needle (starting with oranges) so that is painless. It is considered the sign of a good dentist by Thais!

Lidocaine is the injected local anesthetic, used both in the US and in BKK. (It replaced novacaine in the US 20 or 30 years ago because novacaine caused too many deaths.) Before the local anesthetic is injected the dentist uses a topical anesthetic to reduce the pain of the lidocaine injection. In my experience with New York dentists they swab a topical around with a Q-tip. They then immediately inject the lidocaine, which hurts. The last dentist who did this to me claimed that the topical went in in 30 seconds and that waiting longer would not improve the effect. He also claimed that there is a keratin callus on the inside of the mouth that prevents the topical from working there at all. I also had attributed the improved topical effect at Asavanant to the 15 minutes of topical application before the injection. I also expect that US dentists don't want to wait that long because it costs them money so they just inject us. On the other hand what my NY dentist suggested that they could use cocaine or some other superior topical in BKK that is not legal in the States.

I don't know which explanation is correct, but I will find out eventually.

Khun Pad Thai

• 3 weeks later...

I am going to have to throw some support behind the duration of the topical freezing. I have "roten"!! teeth admitedly, and I have seen brothels full of dentists over the years. That include 5 root canals, which at this point I do not view as being any type of technically difficult or painful procedure. But I have noticed that over the years Canadian destal procedures have changed imensley and most dentists now give you at least 5 min of local freezing, then work the needle in gingerly at an angle they will only insert it minutely before delivering a tiny amount of the freezing which must allso work topically because they usually make 2 or 3 of these initial probings before they get down to the bottom and start squirtin you full of goo.

Using this board's recommendation, I saw Dr. Asavanant 2 weeks ago. No appointment needed for the initial visit, but his endodontist only works limited hours (but she will make exceptions and special appointments if asked).

I had 5 cavities filled, in addition to replacing all of my silver/mercury amalgam fillings with a tooth colored composite resin. 12 USD each for these. Tooth whitening by bleach (they don't use laser). This was about 225 USD, I believe. They give 1 35% bleach treatment in the office, then the home kit for 10 days, than a 2nd 35% office treatment. I didn't have enough time to get the 2nd 35% office treatment before returning to the US, so I have an appointment when I return in early April.

The work was: professional, timely, painless (I've had more pain in traditional Thai massage. Me: jep nit nawy. Her: Pain good for you.), thorough, inexpensive (by US standards). Not sure yet if my US insurance will cover the cost (doubt it, though, the bastards. I cannot understand why they won't pay a foreign doctor when it costs them much less than had I gone to an American doctor. I guess paying nothing is even better for them). Dr. Asavanant explained everything in great depth, including all treatment options and various costs and even suggested how I might best balance US dental work with work there to fit MY schedule and pocketbook! They use very modern equipment and take MANY photos (some training in Japanese dental school? :) ), which they use to explain the various options. They only asked for money after the treatment was over. 3 hours 1 day, 2 hours the next, all under $400 USD.

My only complaint was that the rinse water is Bangkok tap water!! Tasted like s**t (and no, to all the wise guys, I don't actually know what s**t tastes like!). You'd think they'd use bottled water.

Take the BTS to Thong Lor stop, exit on the north/odd numbered soi side of the station, walk straight ahead, cross soi 55, you will see the clinic on the opposite corner, to the left of a gold shop. Large, dark building with "Dental Clinic" on the sign. In through lobby, with receptionist and security guard.

The doctor asked how I'd heard about the clinic and I gave him a 2 page print-out from this board. He said he had not heard of Nanaplaza before and asked if he could photocopy the pages for his records. I think that everyone who goes in there from now on needs to ask about the "20% Nanaplaza discount". ::

Much of the staff is Chula trained, some have US training (at least one at U of Maryland, good reputation).

My teeth feel/look great now, 2 weeks out.

My US dentist has a new standard to which he will be held.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived