Butchers shops in Thailand

bangkokbutcher

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Butch,

As far as profitability goes, I am not sure. Selling meat to tourists - no go, how often would you cook in BKK whilst on holidays? Never. I know I don't. To expats? I don't know. I don't think expats cook much either. Option B.. selling to western restaurants.. I'm sure they already get their meat from somewhere, why would they come to us?

Certain meat items would sell well however. eg. I have never seen roast lamb on the menu in LOS, and whenever I tell the gf about lamb, she laughs (never heard if it being eaten.. doesn't think it's edible!!!)

not trying to sound negative, just realistic questions, I don't know the answers.

***Selling meat to tourists - no go

AGREED!

***To expats? I don't know. I don't think expats cook much either.

AGREED! (Although I feel this to be the case in the main resorts i.e. BKK, Pattaya, Phuket etc etc - but not necessarily in the more rural cities i.e. Udon Thani, Nong Khai, Ubon, Khon Kaen etc etc.)

***selling to western restaurants.. I'm sure they already get their meat from somewhere, why would they come to us?

Well that could be the same reason as to why they purchase from their current suppliers - or select a niche market, or work on the quality angle - There is a few options there to tackle I feel...

***Certain meat items would sell well however. eg. I have never seen roast lamb on the menu in LOS, and whenever I tell the gf about lamb, she laughs (never heard if it being eaten.. doesn't think it's edible!!!)

Never seen lamb either, although apparantly some place in Trat does actually have it on the menu (would love to find out next time i'm over). Funny thing is though, since my wife has been living in the UK she has found lamb to be one of the tastiest roast dishes she has ever experienced - AGREED!

Could be a market to explore!?!?!

I s'pose Maccy D's had to start somewhere - lol.

***not trying to sound negative, just realistic questions, I don't know the answers.

AGREED - but they could also help the groundwork and research to be all that more interesting.

Who knows???

I have some experience in this area in LOS. So I think you need to consider the following:

Presume your wife is Thai, so she will have a great deal of influence on where you end up living. That will be the most critical choice IMO.

There are several major meat packers in LOS. German-Thai Meats in Bkk is huge. In CM it's Northern Farm Products.

There are several success stories of individuals making a living in the industry (all had Thai wifes). You need to decide if this is to be a 'business' or hobby, eg. how much do you need to earn from it. What are your capital resources? etc. and all the other normal business considerations in LOS.

If you are interested in pursuing this further, PM me and we'll discuss it.

• 2 weeks later...

when u get here send me a pm.

i am now living in bkk ( not working yet ) , but have been in the meat industry for about 16 years ( 11 in the caribbean dealing mainly in importing from the uk and usa ). i think there is limited potential here for wholesale business ( hotel and farang restaurant) , but to be competitive u would have to produce locally due to import costs. my local watering holes buy both from bkk and a guy down south ( both of which produce in thailand) pricing is cheap but quality is poor. ultimately , its a question of whether the restaurants are prepared to lower profits / increase prices for the sake of a better steak and kidney pie. most beef comes out of OZ , big portion control wholesalers and is pretty tasty. in my opinion , that just leaves the sausage market so maybe thats an avenue u could explore. good luck and keep us posted.

saints 3 watford 0 - FA CUP SEMI

then beat arsenal in the final - come on u saints

Thanks for the response sfcfan,

I will most certainly PM you when I get back out there. Admittedly you do have some points about buying locally but there are a number of large uk players that are eager to break water on new ground and would be prepared to sell below cost to get some gates open (not saying they ever will make it in LOS - but they are interested).

As for Southampton winning - well good luck coz all I can say is "Come On You Gooners!" :neener:

Cheers,

BB

Says bangkokbutcher:

Hey forgot ot mention,

it seems like there is turning out to be quite a few of us meat guys on here - perhaps it's time for a new message board to be started.

Perhaps "The butchers guide to sanuk in Thailand" or something similar.

:D
:D

BB

LOL, great idea.

Archived