Butchers shops in Thailand

bangkokbutcher

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi STH,

that wouldnt happen to be the chap from Leeds who always seems to be closed up on the Jomtien Road by any chance would it?

I've tried to catch up with him a couple of times, but he's either been closed or out buying pigs (apparently at his local watering hole - :: ).

I think he flew in some NZ turkeys last Christmas (excuse the pun) for a big beach BBQ.

Might not be him though!

Cheers though! :bow:

Thats him, apparently there is a real market for well made pies, sausages etc. I would imagine in Bangkok if you supplied good sausages and other stock you would have a good business.

Think how many British, Irish pubs there are in Bangkok plus assorted restaurants and hotels plus expats, not much competition either.

The thing is though, could you work in that heat, doing physical work?

STH

-----The thing is though, could you work in that heat, doing physical work?-----

Well a couple of years ago the whole family went back to their home village to help my wifes brother with building his new house. I was over for a month and that month just happened to be April (ARRGGH!!). Now I know the meaning of no pain - no gain. Four to 6 hours per day digging, labouring and anything else that wasnt easy in a 40 degree c+ heat. Shit now that was extreme - but I survived (wouldnt like to do it again though).

As for being in a butchers shop with adequate refrigeration units, I would hope that they would help to chill the air a little.

Also the main part of the job now (loading and boning of the carcases) seems to get done by robots (yes even in Thailand) now, so all butchers seem to be buying nowadays is cry vac primals (big piece of meat that can be cut into human size meals in a plastic bag - i.e. c/v rump turns into rump steak).

So taking this on board, all I would really need to do is source some quality suppliers (who are trying to brake the ice in SE Asia - and there are a couple of UK ones - MLC & SQBLA). Get some keen prices (to help them lead into the market) and source some customers - the hard bit - but then again maybe not.

The job itself would just be producing some decent sossies, quality pies and holding a knife in ones right hand to slice a pre boned primal - easy I think - but then again maybe not. I always have my doubts - but thats what I need to overcome.

Cheers again STH. ::

Butch,

This could be our ticket IN! The company I work for is a domestic/export wholesaler (all over oz), who already export all over the world (including Asia, I saw our logo on a buther shop window in Laos last trip).

Question is, can we work there doing our trade? Visas etc?? I don't know. I was always under the impression we could pnly own businesses, not work in them.

VERY interesting idea indeed.

Says artiew:

Red,

You always struck me (!) as more of a 'stilletto in the ribs' kinda guy, but if its 'chainsaws at 50 paces' that tickles your fancy, then bring it on, sucker
:)

Not really sure what you mean there. Stillettos, only on a Suturday night, while out with Carew and STH. Chainsaws at 50 paces when confronted by the ex(es) in a hard alleyway. eeeek

Hey could be promising! But how could I get in with your guys?

As for the work thing - I think that there is 2 ways to go about it.

1. To set up a ltd company and employ a certain number of Thais to run the business.

2. To set it up as a shop and as a sideline training centre for those Thais whom might be interested in the ways of the falang meat production industry or food safety etc etc.

I am pretty sure that either of these options are viable, but would they be profitable - that is the question!?!?!

::

Cheers!!

Archived