Clinton Plaza closes - could The Cowboy be next?

<I>Hot off the press: The Lumpini Police, after assuring bar owners that licenses were not necessary, tonight (August 17th) closed all entertainment venues in Clinton Plaza permanently. They say: "get a license, and you can open". However, they know very well, that such a license is unobtainable. We're done in Bangkok, that's it. It was a good try, and a good run, but the end has come...

</I>

This update appears to be 2 days old and I don't see any disscussions involving Clinton Plaza being shut down....perhaps it's just a joke? Oh well, I guess I'll see for myself with my own eyes in a couple more weeks.

Saturday, August 18th I spent some time at Clinton Plaza. I wasn't paying particular attention, but for sure, the following places were doing just fine: Dollhouse, Hollywood East, White House, Suzie & Crazy Bar, Checkpoint Charlie, and at least the outdoor Rock Hard beer bar (and at least the doors to Rock Hard go-go were open - but it did seem unusually quiet).

Where do people come up with this stuff???

Cheers!

Bangkok Butterfly

Clinton was open last night but dancers were pulled from the stage earlier in the evening by Police. For more on this refer to my post, and others including the above link on Page 5 of the "Crackdown is over! Police have Spoken!" thread.

Don't want to duplicate the same discussion on two threads. Hard enough to follow things around here as it is.

quote:

Originally posted by nepfan:

Clinton was open last night but dancers were pulled from the stage earlier in the evening by Police. For more on this refer to my post, and others including the above link on Page 5 of the "Crackdown is over! Police have Spoken!" thread.

Don't want to duplicate the same discussion on two threads. Hard enough to follow things around here as it is.

Nor do I, which is why I am going to repeat something Nepfan wrote in another thread to make my point that the "official" explanation doesn’t seem to make sense.

Nepfan posted in the “Crackdown Over! Police lay down the law!” thread the following: “[there] were no dancers on the stage in any of the 5 GoGo Bars [in Clinton Plaza]. Police came earlier in the evening and pulled all dancers from the stage for incorrect licenses. For those of you that don't already know about it, Clinton Plaza is a house of cards with all the bars built in what used to be a parking lot without benefit of Building Permits. Without the Building Permits it may not be possible to obtain the appropriate Business [Licenses].”

I don’t doubt that someone in a position of authority might have provided this explanation to Nepfan or that this might be the official explanation, but it does not any make sense. If the businesses do not have any business licenses, wouldn’t the authorities simply close the businesses? Why pull the go go girls from the stage? Is there a special license required to have go go girls dance? I doubt it.

If Clinton Plaza is built on a house of cards because none of the structures have the necessary building permits, and a building permit is necessary to obtain a business license (this far the reasoning makes sense), they should not be able to operate any business there. It should not not matter what the business does - be it a pizza stand or a go go bar. If they cannot operate any business there because they do not have a business license, the authorities would shut the businesses altogether rather than simply pulling go go girls from the stage.

I know I am applying (western) logic to a Thai situation, but the official explanation does not make sense. (Actually, in my view logic is logic, and the idea that there is something known as “western” or “eastern” logic is farcical.) I suspect there is another reason because the reason given just does not make sense.

Shasta questioned why the owners of RockHard would make shit up. Have to also agree with that comment. I am an outsider (lovely Ohio), but something is happening there...

[ August 19, 2001: Message edited by: Uncle Miltie ]

quote:

Originally posted by nepfan:

Did anybody responding to my above post bother the go to the "Crackdown" thread and read the posts there before posting away here? I have responded to the same questions there. Sorry for being pissy, but the same thing is currently being hammered away elsewhere. Do we really need yet another thread on the same subject? I'm outa here.

[ August 19, 2001: Message edited by: nepfan ]

[ August 19, 2001: Message edited by: nepfan ]

The police ordered the bars in CEP not have girls dancing until they have obtained some sort of entertainment license which can only be obtained during the week. Thanks to the boys in brown for bringing this to our attention on a SATURDAY.

Girls should be back on stage by Tuesday.

Indeed, if the police was to shut off operations in all the buildings erected in without a proper permit construction, read 100% legal, 5 to 10% of all business in the whole metropolis would have to be closed, including banks and dept stores. And if you go with bldgs not following the proper codes of construction, make that 30%. What could be happening is that the men (long arms, good lawyer) get sorted from the boys (short arms, no connection). Anyone thinking that maybe farang bar owners are more at risk of losing their businesses than thai owners?

Archived