any problems visiting Vientienne with Thai wife?

From anyone's experience, am I likely to get any hassle from Lao authorities either at the border or internally, or from hotels?

And from a more practical point of view, I've been given contradictory advice by various sukhumvit agencies offering lao visas, about whether thai nationals require visas or not. I thought that Thais could visit Vientienne (but not beyond) without a visa, or is that just limited to day-trips?

hi,

thais don't need a visa if they only stay in vientiane for up to 2 nights (3 days). What they need is their ID card, Passphoto (not sure if 1 or 2) and a temporary border pass.

There are a lot of agencies just in front of the border where you can get a temporary border pass for aroud 100 baht. It's the best if you arrive before 6 pm because these agencies are closed after that time.

• 2 weeks later...

Yes, termp border pass. I didn't realise that when we tried to get across about a year ago, had a visa for me and thought she'd be OK with her ID card.

After he'd stamped me out of LOS, he told her to go and get a borderpass, somewhere down the road. She got pissed off at me staying there (I was alraedy in Nomansland), threw a sulk, and stomped off back to the hotel in NongKai. I only needed to cross for a new Thai visa, so I crossed into Lao, visited the duty free store, Got my cigars and booze and crossed straight back over. Shortest visit to Lao ever. Longest sulk that month ended only late at nite.

@sanukdee

It is .....at least for me!!! I guess your question is about the sanuk "scene" in vientiane. Well, you can't compare it to bkk or pattaya of course or better ---thank god--- but it's nice. If you in vientiane for the first time you might think there is nothing going on at night , but boy it is. There a couple of discos packed with plenty of nice girls, but forget about the hotel discos, stick to the ones outside of Hotels!! The best time to visit those discos is after 11 pm or better 12 pm.

One advise: Stay also away from the big hotels because most of the hotels will not allow you to bring a girl back into your room but there are plenty of guesthouses in Vientiane and if you stay in one of those you shouldn't have a problem. There are also some kind of bars, from outside they look like some typical restaurants ....with cheap plastic chairs etc. if you go in one of these bars the waiter will ask you if you like to have a girl to sit with you. Usually the girl will drink with you . ......my advise here....... be carefull or you get drunk, some of these girls can drink a lot of beer, really!!!

If you like more details, leave me a message.

Archived