IE New Window not New Window

zanemay

An odd thing has started happening when I try to open a new Explorer window. Even if I go to the Start menu and pick a favorite page, the program does not open a new window. It reverts to the last window I had open and replaces it. It never used to do that.

Why, and what to do?

Thanks,

Zane

I think it's one of those Microsoft things...no one knows why, it just happens!?

Soft solution: Make sure to open a new window (Ctrl+N or File-->New in IE) before clicking the favourite in the start menu. It should open in your new window.

Hard solution: Re-install IE, "plug and pray".

Cheers,

Straycat

Hello Stray...

Thank you for your ideas, but...

I already do the first suggestion. Most inconvenient!

I don't want to do the second suggestion since I am working on my old computer with a smallish hard drive which could fill at any second. it. I am running IE 5.50 which is probably smaller than whatever is current now.

Maybe there's some other way ??

Thanks,

Zane

in IE goto menu tools-internet options-advanced & uncheck 'Reuse windows for launching shortcuts' in the browsing section. that should solve it, but it's MS so no guarenties.

as the other poster noted opera is a very cool alternative browser with xhtml1.0/xml/wml support, which e.g. the latest IE/NS doesn't support (yet) :o

Archived