place names?

Yes it has meaning. the mountain of "ket".

I have always been told Phuket to be derived from a Malay word meaning mountain like Pvt Dick mentioned and thought it was not a Thai word, On the very old shop signs you can still see the word written as Bhuket and I was told many times that was the malay way of spelling it.

Some of the smaller islands located just off Phuket island had Malay names this I know to be true as there where Malaysians living there until not so long ago until the Thai Navy took them back under Thai control. The last king went there to claim them and he carved new names on the cliff faces out on the cliffs claiming them to be Thai territory, The Phuket locals still call them in the old Malay names today and not their official Thai names,

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

[color:"red"] I have always been told Phuket to be derived from a Malay word meaning mountain like Pvt Dick mentioned and thought it was not a Thai word, On the very old shop signs you can still see the word written as Bhuket and I was told many times that was the malay way of spelling it.

[/color]

You may be correct, for sure, you are more current than me.

Thanks, I will remember it.

Jasmine :)

How about "Pattaya"?

PS: "Bangkok" does not mean city of angels. "Krungthep", i.e., how the Thai now refer to Bangkok, does mean "city of angels". But "Bangkok", the old name for the city before it became the capital (and still used in English), means something like "place where the wild olive grows".

Yes, exactly.

Bangkapi: waterside hamlet (where they make) shrimp paste

Bangsaothong: waterside hamlet (where there is a) flag pole

Bangbuathong (Nonthaburi): waterside hamlet (where the) golden lotus (grows)

Bang Saphan (Prachuap Khiri Khan): waterside hamlet (where there is a) bridge

Bangplee, Bangpakok, Banglane, Bangpakaew, Bangyeerua, Bangkhen, Bangyai, Bangsaen, Bangyikhan, Banglampoo...lots and lots of "Bang" locations throughout the country.

For everyone.

Just out of curiousity...

How many provinces can you list off the top of your head, with out the help of a map.

I tested myself once and got into the 50's before I came up blank. I could do all 76 now but I've been practicing.

This is a really good party trick, especially when you challenge a Thai to do it.

Then how many have you actually been to?

Hi Markle,

You should actually put this question in a poll.

I guess I`ve been to some 40 provinces so that means that there is still a lot of ground to cover.

You can do all 76 now from the top of your head? Well, I`d say that is rather impressive although you have been practising.

Just tried myself made it to 45.

I am sure that you will have the upper hand if you challenge a thai to do the same.

Wonder if they learn a litany of these names in school? Then you may be in trouble anyway.

Just out of curiuosity, when you refer to Krungthep, do you go with the abbreviation or the full name? ::

Cheers

Hua Nguu

At least the Thai kids wouldn't have to memorize the names of the provicial capitals, like we always had to do with the states growing up in the US.

"Now, class, what's the capital of Chiang Mai?"

"Chiang Mai?"

"Right! Very good, Somchai! And how about the capital of Uthai Thani?"

"Uh...Nakorn Ratchasima?"

"No, Somchai, I'm afraid the correct answer was 'Uthai Thani'. That's one rap on the knuckles for you, young man!"

Archived