Need a recommendation for a tri-band phone

rookie

Okay...I don't have a cell phone, and have not seen comparative recommendations on this list. Okay, I know I'll need a tri-band...as it may later be used in the States, but what is a good quality phone to buy that doesn't have all the un-needed bells & whistles. I know phones in Thailand start at under 4K-Bt...but are they tri-band...and would it be better to buy in Thailand or the States?

thanks...

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

ericsson t68m or sony ericsson t68i. they're both basically the same phone. it's the best cost/options world phone(tri-band) out atm. you can get the t68m for 9k baht for "gray market" ones. it doesn't really matter in Thailand since there are NO sony ericsson service centers here so the warranty means diddly. closest service center is in singapore, where I got my t68i firmware upgraded.

you can download any pop email into the phone via gprs service. that there makes any other options pale in comparison. some "pale" options are, mp3, camera, bluetooth, and laser pen accessories!

Look on Ebay. I just got an unlocked Motorola L7089 triband that is a discontinued model but still has some nice features for $60. The phone is slightly used but only has one small scratch on the back.

I think that Ericsson has the least expensive tri-band phones. Some one told me you can get a t200 for around USD120. However better to buy it where you use it most. I say this because unless things have changed in the US the providers wan't you to use their phone, or they might ask you for a two year contract. I could see buying a phone in another market if you are saving more than $100 but if you are talking about $10, 20 or even $30 just buy it at home. I would worry less about compatability and more about what works best where you use the phone most.

ag

Try the Nokia 6310i with Bluetooth or the Siemens S55

I don't know of many tri-bands selling new for under US$100-150 you can buy them used for that amount maybe.

You can buy an new Ericsson R520m which is an older model and it has bluetooth for about US$150

Buy your triband in the States or Europe. prices in Thailand are not competitive for tribands.

THANKS...to all of you ....I now have a number of considerations that I didn't have before posting my question. Now I need to learn about some of the different features and decide which is best for me and my anticipated minimal phone usage.

'rookie'

Check out the SE T200, its a sweet little phone for the price. Tri-band, color screen, and even comes with a camera that takes pics and stores them on the phone. They can be found on the net for USD $150. Siemens S40 is another good bet, its discontinued but new handsets can still be found on ebay for under $100. I used an S40 on my last trip with no problems before upgrading to a Nokia 7210.

jjsushi mentioned the Ericsson R520 at $150. The prices on those have really come down lately. You can get one on Ebay (hope I don't sound like an ad for them) for $75 plus shipping. This is for a new in the box unlocked phone. Be careful if you go there because some of the R520s at the same price are locked to certain providers.

Archived