Need a recommendation for a tri-band phone

rookie

Just FYI, a Sony Ericsson T68i can be unlocked trivially at MBK for 800 baht or less (I had it done a few months ago). (I'm sure other brands can be done there too but that's the one I have direct experience with.)

PS I really don't care for my T68i. The bells and whistles have a tendency to get in the way of the basic functionality of the phone, and the menu system is just a mess -- way too slow and way too modal. The context menu key never seems to work the way I'd like it to. Also a phone which greets you with an hourglass when you hit the button to bring up your recent call list is just plain wrong.

The moment Nokia has a tri-band bluetooth with a color screen, I will ditch my T68i in a heartbeat. Nokia's usability and menu system is a thing of elegant beauty.

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

GWillie wrote...Ericsson R520 at $150. You can get one on Ebay (hope I don't sound like an ad for them) for $75 plus shipping."

Jsushi & gwille...I've been selling a buncha stuff on E-Bay lately and it looks like the R520 will both do the job and is reasonably priced. Thanks for the suggestion. I'll likely get one just before heading back to SEA in 2 months.

I have a Thinkpad T30 -- bluetooth built in. I use it for synchronizing contacts with the phone. At first I was skpetical (since IR is also available) but now that I've gotten used to it I like it better than IR and wouldn't want to do without it.

Says KhMarried:

I have a Thinkpad T30 -- bluetooth built in. I use it for synchronizing contacts with the phone. At first I was skpetical (since IR is also available) but now that I've gotten used to it I like it better than IR and wouldn't want to do without it.

IR is a poor substitute for BT because you can only be so fr from the port and you have to line the devices up straight. BT eliminates that bother.

A Bluetooth headset is great especially if you have to talk while you drive. No wires and every function is controlled by the headset.

Also if you are in a room that doesn't allow you to get a great signal, you can place the phone in the best location and talk on the headset as long as you are within 30ft of the handset. You have complete mobility to speak without worrying about RF deadspots in the room.

I have yet to use a bt headset with my T68i so I can't confirm or deny your assertions with this particular phone. However the headsets are very expensive, I remember a price of like $200? Do I have that right?

Archived