Diet Soda in Thailand

Sarisin

A number of years ago due to the really sweet taste and my really growing middle I switched to diet soda. Yeah, sometimes diet soda tasted like very weak bilge water, but, for the most part, now I can't tell the difference with name brand diet sodas and the ones with sugar.

However, in Thailand I often have to drink the sugary stuff because diet sodas are not available. For example, ask for a Coke Light or a Diet Pepsi in many gogo bars and they will look at you like you have a second nose growing out of your forehead or something.

True, some bars stock diet sodas, but most don't - especially the small ones. I have even seen some nice folks run out to get some for customers. Of course you get charged some ridiculous price like 95 baht for a can of Coke Light they just bought for 15 baht at the 7-11. :)

And, another thing....

You can find the aforementioned diet sodas at most grocery stores (along with Pepsi Max, which is made from bilge water), but, have you ever seen it for sale in anything but cans? You can find regular soda in glass and plastic bottles, but never diet soda.

Why is that?

OK, maybe the Thai people don't have a real obesity problem yet like my country (USA), but I have seen some wide loads wandering around that should consider a switch to diet drinks. And, hey, how about the girth of some of these Thai kids?

I'm sure plenty of you don't give a rat's ass about diet sodas (uh, maybe you should though ::), but do any of you look for diet soda when you are in the LOS?

What do you find?

Sarisin,

I know the feeling.

Coca-Cola Light

Diet Pepsi

Pepsi Max

I've only seen Pepsi Max in the plastic 1.5 liter PET bottles.

Playschool in NEP will give you the full can of Coca-cola Light for THB 95 !

Skycruiser (Rajah Hotel parking lot) will also mix Rum and (Diet) Coke if you ask.

Cheers!

Ahh, a topic i can relate to..... :rolleyes:

For some reasons i am, so to say, adicted to the diet stuff.

I never guess, but maybe my general dislike of GGBs are based on this ????? :dunno:

95 Baht for a can of diet-coke - 3 cans and you get a barfine for free or what ????? :onfire:

But i can ensure everybody that not only in LOS its a drag to get dietdrinks at a resonable price in entertainmentvenues. Even in europa its sometimes not possible, dont even think about it in most eastern countrys. I could go on and on...... :banghead:

But back to LOS, a good reason for staying in BKK is indeed, the availability of the dieatdrinks at all, try to get one in, say Nakhon Phanom (also there are a few other availabilitys :hubba: )......

Quote:"Skycruiser (Rajah Hotel parking lot) will also mix Rum and (Diet) Coke if you ask"

Hey why spoil the diet-coke with that nasty stuff..... :clown:

mupfel

who badly needs not only a drink :angel:

Sarisin, I always diet coke/pepsi in the gogo's. I've found

recently that roughly 75% of the nana and SC bars have

diet coke ("coke light") or diet pepsi, but only 10% of the patpong bars. It's been that way for the past 2 years. It's about zero percent in pattaya though. But you're right: when you order it, the first waitress you ask will look at you and say something like "what, dat coooolk" or something...then about 5 waitresses and a manager will stand around trying to figure out what you said....but then they will find the can for you. It's good to get the diet stuff because they usually bring you the whole can (rather than a glass filled with ice and a little coke). But beware: if they don't bring the can, you have to insist that they show you the can where the drink came from, because chances are it's just regular coke if they don't bring the can.

"I've only seen Pepsi Max in the plastic 1.5 liter PET bottles"

Don't want to be a smartass, but they're 1.25 liter... :angel: I drink about 2 of them every day, year round... I sure hope they're no side effects coming up! ::

Some beer bars in Pattaya offer Diet Coke, though I suspect they're in stock only because the bar owner is getting those "love handles" himself...

Fredro

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

j11 says:

"But beware: if they don't bring the can, you have to insist that they show you the can where the drink came from, because chances are it's just regular coke if they don't bring the can."

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

These words are so true :applause:, if they dont bring the can, you are most likley getting the "sweet" stuff.

But actually diet coke is not a real problem, but try to get something else without sugar and you are pretty much f......:cussing:

mupfel

p.s. In my experience, the only bars in NEP that do NOT have diet coke/pepsi are: TT, and Bottoms Up. i used to ask for diet coke, then when they said "no have", i'd say "ok, i leave and go to a bar that has...Call me when you get it". i figured they would start stocking it.....but no matter how many times i do that, they just ignore customer demand (ok, 1 customer). And i think the one in SC that "no have" is Our Place.

Archived