Great Artist

Nervous_Dog

• 2 weeks later...

sorry, but if you look up the old catalogues of baselitz you can see where vasan copied most of his stuff. ever read his "poem to the queen"? he did that on the occasion of the queen of england's visit to thailand a few years back, was a kind of a letter filled with explatatives, insults and the F... word basically stating that she should stay out of thailand. he is one of those fascists hiding behind a little hippie beard, but living very well from the grants he gets from western art foundations.

if you go there, he is the small drunk bloke with a thin beard where you can see what he ate during the last week, generally trying to touch up everything with a skirt on.

Dam if I didn't have to look up baselitz.

Yep - a lot odf similarities, but I still like the guys work.

Primarily because he is

a) generally trying to touch up everything with a skirt on.

B) he is the small drunk bloke

c) Unlike Western countries, he can get into serious shit with what he does, but still does it. In particular I do like his USA paintings, and those of whores.

Whats the matter - you don't like to get drunk and touch up some skirt?

i must confess that i have a few issues with the bloke and his group of fellow "artists".

when i met him first i was rather impressed with what i thought was courage. but after i got to know him a bit i found that his so called social engagement was just a shell, and him and his group just another incestous group of scammers, and more amateur political activists with a bit too xenophobic opinions for my taste than real artists.

but that is just my personal opinion. i haven't seen his latest works though, i have serious difficulties going to vernissages of those guys, that generally destroys my good mood.

the one i have my strongest opinion against though are manit and ing-k, absolutely untalented but slimed their way through the artbusiness with the support of chulalongkorn university's artdean, screwing much more talented artists on the way.

i guess though that i am a bit biased there...

Perhaps - I have never found to be anything other than a pretty nice guy, but that doesn;t mean either of us is right.

Ironically Chula banned his work, then bought the image they banned!!!!

The dealers here I don't think a lot of are the H Gallery scene - "Cheap art when compered to European Modern Artists"

Of course its cheap - its students work! same stuff in Aus would be 1/2 the price!

By Manit do you mean the photographer? Now there is a fraud!

>>>By Manit do you mean the photographer? Now there is a fraud! <<<

exactly!

stupid, arrogant, xenophobic, and the worst - his stuff is shite. have a look at his little book, he has such a distance to the people he photographes, and the few pix which are OK, like the ones of the abandoned construction sites, are done exactly in the style of some other photographers living here he sucks up to (and uses to get further in the artworld).

the last thing i have seen from him are the badly lit portraits of his fellow "artists", what an uninspired series.

and don't get me started on the "pinky man"...

you know about the famous movie of his girlfriend ing-k, the one hardly anyone has ever seen, that was rejected by the berlin festival a few years back for lack of quality...

don't remember the name anymore, but selfindulgent somehow fits her very well.

in one exhibition i once saw some of her "paintings", some schoolgirlish stuff. one drawing made my blood boil, it was about the slash and burn farming, with some comment on how bad the hilltribes were for thailand as they destroy the forests of thailand. yeah, right...

or the "beach" when they all demonstrated against those bad hollywood guys doing that movie on phi-phi island. and after they got a few threats they run straight to - greece! i thought that was a bit funny, demonstrating against all those bad westerners, and then hiding in the spiritual home of western culture. well, i guess, life is a lot more comfortable on some greek island than in india...

what really pisses me off there is that their fame etc. could be used to change some real things in that country here, but for them it seems to be a lot better to demonstrate against that imagined western thread than against the bad boys from their own society.

but then, i guess it's all a question of advertisement, you won't get into the international media when you work on local labour issues or try to deal with rural poverty on a grassroots level.

a few years ago i stopped going to all those exhibitions here, it just wasn't worth it, so rare to see some really inpired stuff. i do miss though the late montien boonma. his instalations had a real magic.

Archived