Poetic Justice

StoneSoup

Well, heading to Woodstock last evening, I rode the escalator up to the second floor. As I reached the top, I noticed a BIG cockroach racing as fast as it could - it was on the top step, running in the "downward" direction. It just kept running, while remaining almost stationary in space. I burst out laughing, which brought all the "hello" girls running over (they had not been forming their usual gauntlet for some reason), and when they followecd by gaze, they too burst out laughing and pointing.

My thoughts:

1. I always wondered how fast cockroaches run - now I know - it's the same speed as the NEP escalator (whatever that is).

2. This is a Bhuddhist country, and they believe in reincarnation. When in Rome...... so, I figure that - poetic justice being what it is - my scurrying roach was playing out some payback scenario related to misdeeds in a previous life. So - what sorts of behavior would be appropriate to earn an eternity running in place on the NEP escalator?

Or, maybe this was a step UP on the evolutionry ladder - maybe for a Patpong tout, or a Patpong taxi bandit. Or a katoey pickpocket.

Or...perhaps foreshadowing of my own fate ...????????

"Let the good times roll!"

Stone Soup

No clue as to outcome - it was stiull pointed "downslope" as I moved on - but running for the tape at full gallop.

Update to cockroach story - unrelated to item one - my live-in gf decided to try out some "hong malang saap" - basically little fold-out "roach motels" with a chunk of bait, and a sticky floor.

OK, so I live on the 7th floor of a condo building, and I'm used to seeing roaches - and I send many of them off to meet Allah - particularly when going for a middle of the night belt of icewater. Crack the fridge, and the beam of light sends an army of the armored devils scrambling for cover.

But - nothing would have prepared me for the quantity of the little darlings that "checked in, and will never check out" of the gf's three little boxes (30 baht for the set of three).

No shit, there must have been close to 100 roaches in each one !!! Granted, the majority were little buggers about the size of a caraway seed, but from such spawn come the lumbering monsters that beget fresh hordes.

This was after one night on the floor. We had to throw them out - because the bodies stuck to the floor were now packed in so tightly that later-comers could safely scurry over the backs of their arrested brethren, and feast on the prize unmolested.

300 roaches in one night. A temporary reprieve?

Yikes!

The Galloping Grouper

Stone Soup

In New York, the rule of thumb is that for every one that you see, there's a hundred to two behind the walls.

I see about one a week now. My problem though is ants, and another large bug. To big for a termite (least the ones that I know). One of them will live in my door frame just chuck his waste outside like ants do. I just put some toothpaste on the hole and seems to do the trick. Why I don't know.

<<burp>>

You only have to be around when the roads in BKK flood to see the numbers that are about.

They're even common in hotels in the UK and I would suspect that standards are more strictly enforced here than in LOS.

Anywhere thats warm and has a food supply will host them.

Warm + food supply sums up LOS.

Archived