Best universities in BKK ?

Coloseum

"1. Could you give me an idea of the cost per semester in

ABAC"

For a thai in BA it costs about 32K baths a semester, depending on how many and what topics they pick.That's for 5 or 6 not quite sure anymore. Add to this 10 to 13K for the summer term (many students will take 1 or 2 courses during the summer break).70 to 80K a year

Private tuitions,accomodation etc... is of course extra.Not quite sure about the books

"Would it be a good idea to improve one's English before

enrolling"

Most of the education is indeed in english so to speak,write and read it would definetely help but many students,especially in the first years, are far from fluent

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

University of Khao Sarn I got a BSc in Maths (1st Class) MSc in Quantum Physics and an MPhil in Astro Physics for 6000 baht without even having to open a book.

Saves a lot of worthless toil and I had a tatoo of Gnasher the Dog on chopper while I was waiting.

Cheers

Says SiLeakHunt:

University of Khao Sarn I got a BSc in Maths (1st Class) MSc in Quantum Physics and an MPhil in Astro Physics for 6000 baht without even having to open a book.

Saves a lot of worthless toil and I had a tatoo of Gnasher the Dog on chopper while I was waiting.

Cheers

hahahaha I like it. Boy, you got humour... :)

[color:"red"] I know I might be hitting a nerve here but IMO none of the Thai Universities are any good. From what I hear from quite a large number of expatriate English University teachers here in Thailand, Thai students are NOT encouraged to do research, compare theories, deffend opinions etc etc, they are merely expected to memorize facts given by the instructor and put it on paper during the exam. [/color]

The deep-rooted Thai education systems have changed a bit from my time (late 60s in Thammasart). However, there will be the teachers who rather like their students to just memorize becuase it is easier and many shcools before the Univ. trained these kids to memorize.

However, even in my time there, there were a few of us who liked to do extra things like reasearch, mostly from our nature of being inquisitive. My friends and I who received scholarships to go to study in Europe or the States were very capable in researching. I agree with you that the majority of students are not trained. It has a lot to do with culture (don't ask questions), and we are supposed to listen and respect teachers.

I met a young Thai man many years ago who told me that he had it very hard in a Uni. in Alabama because his high school in Thailand taught only to memorize things.

I have also met a few Thai teachers who said that they wanted to change the memorize system but "rocking the boat"

was simply dangerous to their careers!!! What a frustrating system :banghead: :banghead:

Please be aware that the children who are taught to ask questions at home may sometimes have it quite difficult at school. I was one such student until I got to the Triam Udom High school which encouraged and still encourages that type of development. And in Thammsart (spent over 1 yr. there), I and other friends who were the top of the class just learned to avoid some instructors with such possible problems or we just placated them that we did not want to challenge their ability and knowledge, we were just "CURIOUS" and "WANT TO FIND OUT THINGS". We were full of energy and our grades were great, we even got our faculty dean to support us on all kinds of researches and ventures. Come to thionk about it, I really appreciated that dean, his far-sighted attitude helped many of us.

My work career has been full of research, I am thankful to my father and many teachers who had encouraged the development.

Cheers! :D

Nhu_Malee,

You should post more naa kaa. We'd love to have more Thai female posters here.

>>some people said CU always get the best material for the input but the output always be the poor quality product..so something wrong with the processing then.....<<

Your observation is spot on. It's hard to get in but sort of easy to get out. While some say Ramkumhang is the opposite.

CU is considered best because it was established first. TU ranks second from the same reason. The first 4 faculties at Chula were medicine, liberal arts, public administration, and engineering (I think).

Archived