Best universities in BKK ?

Coloseum

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

There seems to be 100% agreement among Thais on this one.

I never hear another one mentioned in the same breadth. I am more interested in what would be considered the third best university in BKK? Is there clearly one or is there a number of cnadidates for the third spot? Is there an up and comer that could crack the top two or is the fall-off so great between the top two and everybody else?

I have heard that the all public universities in general are much better than the private universities? For the most part, the private universities are for rich or moderately rich families to send their kids who failed to achieve passing or needed scores for public university entry?

I have heard some good things about AIT and another school that presently escapes my memory.

Cardinalblue

Mongkut for number 3?

There was an article done a while ago ranking all of the Universities in Asia. Maybe the Far Eastern review? About a year ago.

The number one Thai school was King Mongkut. I think it was somewhere between number 30 and 40 in Asia. But the survey mentioned that Chula didn't participate.

Yes, most Thais think Chula is #1, T. #2.

Asia Week rates Asia's best universities. Chula was not even making top 20 and eventually pulled out from being ranked; apparently to save face. Here are the ratings:

http://www.asiaweek.com/asiaweek/features/universities2000/schools/multi.overall.html

Interesting excerpt:

When Asiaweek started its annual universities survey in 1997, one of our goals was to help Asia's schools celebrate their strengths and correct their weaknesses. That is why we felt good after a recent talk with Rung Kaewdang, secretary-general of Thailand's National Education Commission. He is a key author of the country's far-reaching plan to reform its higher education system. "At first, our university professors expressed concern about Asiaweek's methodology," Dr. Rung told us. "But after they did research, they decided it was good. I would like to thank Asiaweek. We used to think our universities were good. But following your survey, we realized there was a need to upgrade. We have gotten a better indication of our standards and how we need to improve."

Candidates for third place are Mahidol and Kasetsart. There's also Silpakorn and Srinakarinawirot. It depends on the faculty. Silpakorn is best for fine arts, Mahidol for medicine, Srinakarinawirot for education (after Chula). Outside BKK, there's Chiang Mai and then Khon Kaen.

AIT is postgrad only.

I know for sure that the most expensive has to be Assumption University (ABAC), because we just paid the fee for my gf. :-) What I heard from Thais, Chula and ABAC are considered as the most prestigeous. If the best, I don't know really. Assumption has a really a stunning new campus outside BKK, no wonder they charge a shitload of money. :-)

Cheers,

Daniel

Archived