W-LAN .. Hotspots in Bkk?

KhunJack

Siam has a hotspot.

The problem is that the hotspots are not allowed by legistlation to exceed around 50 metres, therefor not commercially viable.

The spectrum that would normally be allocated to this use in most Western countries is not allocated for public use in Thailand, but held by the Government, pending the formation of a committtee to decide how to regulate the spectrum!

Sound like Monti Python, I kid you not!

Siam Discovery is the only hotspot in Bangkok that I know of.

All all floors there are airports either side of the floor. Best reception can be had at either end.

There was an article saying that CISCO was helping putting Wi-Fi in at the airport Don Muang but nobody there knows anything about it.

My wife works there and I was very interested as it would be a good way to kill time whilst I waited but you can be sure at the airport they will charge for the service.

Siam Discovery is free as it's a promotion run by Copperwired (the Apple shop there)

Says Straycat:

At the airport

Yesterday: my laptop picked up the wireless signal but -- surprise! -- the AP was apparently not configured properly (no DHCP server) and I was unable to use it. In contrast to the Asiana lounge at Seoul airport, over whose free wireless network I am posting this.

surprise!

NOT! Over time I understand just how poorly run tech stuff is in LOS. I remember several years ago Singapore boasting it has the right infrastructure for high tech companies wanting to locate in the region. At the time I kind of laughed like how hard is it to unwind some fibre and plug in a router. Not laughing anymore being in LOS and seeing the chaos (how long was it UBC couldn't broadcast any thai channels -or- how often are you denied speedy access to US sites?).

Anyway, if you have time to experiment you can try a static IP like 192.168.1.x where you try to find a unique "x" that avoids any collisions. I know an ASIC engineer and marketing guy at Cisco; I'll tell them their BKK airport promo isn't setup right. Bet there's hundreds passing through the airport everyday giving it a shot and this isn't going to make Cisco look too good.

Try airsnort for unix (apparently it works with OS X also) or windows (alpha). Please don't use this forum for assistance getting on to networks you haven't been invited on to. Thats not what we are here for and that kind of information is well documented elswhere. As I said try airsnort. Google should be able to point you there. As a matter of etiquette its rude to randomly choose IPs and not care if you may be disrupting another host that properly owns the IP even if it is in a reserved range.

ag

I think you misunderstand me.

Somebody mentioned that you can get a signal at Bangkok International airport and I was merely asking what part of the airport you have to be in to get such a signal. I don't know whether it's public or not but the fact that it's a Cisco promotion similar to the promotion in Discovery by Copperwired suggests it is so please don't go assuming I'm performing illegal activities just by wanting to know where in the airport you have to be to get a reliable signal.

Thailand is one country I do not want to be challenging the law in ok.

Archived