Visiting Hong Kong, Vietnam or Southern China ?

gobbledonk

What kind of precaution can one take ? maybe sitting at home and not leave the house? That?s too unrealistic and also not possible.

Welcome to my world, jp1 ! I knew God had a reason for making me an unemployed shut-in : now all I have to do is stock up on baked beans, load the shottie and start boarding up the windows ....

Pass the shells, Ma, they're gettin ready for another charge on our bunker !

Just because I'm paranoid does NOT mean that you aren't all out to get me.

On a brighter note, I am expecting the results of no less than 3 interviews to be revealed by Wednesday afternoon. If none of them are positive, I will start ringing the guys who want 'owner/drivers' for courier work - I've had a gutful of the current IT situation. Buying a white ute 2 years ago was the best decision I ever made :)

My reading of your interpretation of the situation is that we should avoid countries where cases have been diagnosed.

The CDC is advising against non-essential travel to HK, and a bunch of countries in the region, including Thailand. I, like JP1, had planned on being in HK and BKK this week, but my trip was postponed for other reasons. The epidemic wouldn't have stopped me though. I hope they find a solution, becuase it's going global in a hurry. :(

[

Not sure we gain by avoiding those countries, but avoiding confined spaces with too many folks might be wise. Worst is probably aircraft with the recirculated air. (not all planes do this, but most do)

As is reported so far, the cases are rather spotty, but it would appear that Hong Kong may have been the start point. The 2 Canadians who died and the 9 more that appear to have it all had been in HK recently.

No need for full blown panic yet, but when the WHO puts out these alerts, one needs to stay aware.

And yes, this is type of scenario that could progress to something more rampant. /quote]

What else can happen to the travel industry( i am in it )we need this like a hole in the head.

here we are getting (low key) it is not a terror attack ( i sure hope this is put out early).

( i sure hope this is put out early).

No doubt the travel industry will suffer, again, if this gets worse,,,then add a war :cussing::banghead:

Well I see at least your avatar is putting dinner on the table.

:grinyes:

"I don't know about sporadic either..The private hospital which was hit in HaNoi is a small one. Maybe 80 staff there or so? 20 of these got it, 1 dead until now. Several in serious conditions."

The Fench hospital has been quarantined and VN news last night reports a total of 2 dead and 30 critical out of 47 cases. 10 people have recovered though.

Also reported 30 cases in LOS and that other countries (Australia named) not allowing incoming flights from Ha Noi or affected countries.

Arts,

I am living in Hong Kong and I do not know anyone who has the virus. I believe the numbers are 200 people out of a population of 7 million (rough est.).....

My wife did get sick last week with the Flu , but, it was your normal run of the mill Flu you get in Hong Kong.

For those travelling to HKG then I believe it won't be an issue, if it is, then I believe you would be terribly unlucky. Nothing is certain in this world so do your best to protect yourself and go out and do business!!

SB

SB,

Unfortunately, it has spread well beyond HK, and with lighting speed. We now have more than 10 suspected cases in Oz, all people coming back from Asia, and there is still no known treatment that I am aware of. There is a large thread on this in General Discussion (and another in Board Bar, from memory). Scary stuff, but they dont believe there is a terrorism connection. Makes sense, really, unless the terrorists wanted to potentially affect all life on the planet.

Archived