Am I entitled to ask for my work permit?

At the moment work for different two schools. The first school arranged for (and paid for) my work permit and visa. They have always kept possession of my work permit.

About 4 month ago I started working for another school on a part time basis and the management of that school have now asked me for my work permit telling me that my work permit

is my legal property and can record up to three different employers.

My first school have refused to give it to me saying that it is their responsibility to hold it at all times and that it cannot be taken off the premises.

Are they obliged to give me my work permit if I ask for it? :banghead:

Are they obliged to give me my work permit if I ask for it?

I have always believed THE HOLDER should be the one carrying it and therefore being held responsible for it.

I carry my own workpermit with me, no problems whatsoever.

BC -

They are illegitimately holding your work permit hostage. It should be in your possession, or in possession of an office of your choice.

Their attitude is that they paid for the processing, therefore it is theirs to control. They have a practical point, but not a legally correct one.

Realistically, you have little power. The only way to work this would be if you have a Thai policeman with whom you are friends. He goes in to office with you, and demands to see your work permit, to verify your status. He inspects it, nods, and then hands it back TO YOU, and then leaves. You stick it in your pocket and walk out.

But - come renewal time, unless you are prepared to walk through the labor department office with it, your employer will again regain control.

Good luck!

Stone Soup

didn't you have to go to the issuing office at rachadaphisek yourself? there i got the work permit from the officer and our company lawyer wanted to keep it, but i said just forget it, it is my personal document and i have to keep it and ready to show it, where ever i am working (as our company had several locations).

does your school have several locations, where you always have to be ready to show your work permit? is the office where your work permit is kept always accessible; tell them that you have to do extra work during the weekend and should be ready to show the workpermit during this time

From my understanding, the workpermit is not the property of the holder but of the school. You can only work with one job on the workpermit and if they want to cancel it, they can. It has to be cancelled by the parties before 7 days after signing of the letter of resignation. If not some serious fines can be charged against both parties!

how can a fine be charged against the employee, if the work permit is property of the employer and the employer handles everything involved with it? thai logic?

i know from one case where the work permit was not returned at all and after a couple of years the guy got again a work permit, but the old company had to pay a small amount, but not the guy.

Archived