What is the name of this place in Chiang Mai?

steffi

I've been to this resturaunt before where you sit on the floor and eat your food in front of a stage and watch thai dancing and burmese dancing. I remember the dancing was very very good. There's some girl who done stuff with knives if I remember right.

kantoke diner at old chiang mai cultural center (that would be south of the old town)?? a huge place with many western tourists; a lot of thai and hilltribe (different hilltribes from the whole region like akha, maeow, karian etc. performing a quite long show). sitting is on the floor with traditional thai cushions.

There is more than one place like this serving kantoke dinners. But the odds are it is Kantoke Palace which is just south of Night Bazar. Big place. Can't miss it. Never been there but have seen the elephants arriving many times along with beautiful Lanna girls.

Another huge place is Khum Kaew Palace. Have not eaten there but dropped off GFs family there twice. They love the place. Prapokklao Rd.

The place referenced by samak is not as large (but still big!)but a great show and not all busses. Very traditional dancing. On Wualai Rd (as with all roads in Thailand, my spelling is a guess).

Riverside hotel used to have a kantoke in the old Lanna house that is in their parking lot. It was nice, but I was a little too liquored up to give details.

• 2 weeks later...

Riverside hotel used to have a kantoke in the old Lanna house that is in their parking lot. It was nice, but I was a little too liquored up to give details.

-------------------------------------------------

Stayed there this week (now only using their huge pool, as I moved to cheaper lodgings). No shows anymore, but it's a nice piece of 150 YO antique.

Yes, a beautiful hose indeed.

I only stayed at that hotel once. Last year for Loy Krathong. It was the only hotel with a view of the river. Didn't want to deal with traffic driving with GF and family back to her house. Glad I did as her sister was stuck in traffic for hours.

That pool kind of spooked me. Lights strung above it, not too sturdily attached. I looked up at them as I was floating on my back, and contemplated a shocking death. I didn't actually get out of the pool, just quit looking up!

That pool kind of spooked me.

----------------------------

funny how everyone pays attention to different things. That light thing never entered my mind.

reminds me of the friend who was on a bus upcountry with me once, and started to tell me "this driver is going to get us in the ditch". I don't think he drove any differently than any other on the hundred other cross country buses i took, but sure enough, once my friend uttered the words, i became concerned, the only time i got scared on a bus.

Archived