CHING REU(h) PLAO(l)?

luckyfarang

Well there you go.

Change the lazy "L" into a "R" and you got "Ruh" or and than change the "H" into an "e" and you get Markle's "Rue".

For me I do not care that much for the different ways of transliteration of a Thai word. Unless spelled in Thai I'm usually at a loss as to what word it really is.

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Pack rat that I am for books, I managed to dig out an old AUA language book. I found an example of the "ler" that you are referring to being used to make a question rhetorical. The Thai translation is on the opposite page and the word is.........ËÃ×à (reu). You are correct that it sounds a bit between "ler" and "luh" when used in certain situations (my kids use it often when talking together) but I don't think you'll ever find it in written Thai.

Ok, here's my 10 baht's worth.

Yes, as stated, I agree the word being referred to is a mutation of the Thai interrogative word ËÃ×à (rue).

Languages change over time with slang and mutations of words being introduced , also the usage and meanings can change. This word's original usage has no direct translation other than being just used as an interrogative question tag at the end of a sentence..This it appears we all seem to understand and be aware of.

Though now it's often used as a single word phrase to mean 'really?' (probably an abrievation of 'jing reu plao') and the pronunciation has changed. And there are actually a few alternative Thai spellings of this word which are;

- àËÃà - 'rer' (or with the lazy thai tongue often pronounced as 'ler').

and

- ËÃà - 'ror' (..or again 'lor').

Although they have yet to make it into a Thai dictionary (not mine at least, and I have a big new library edition) but are often used in informal Thai writing such as letters, movie subtitles and internet chat, etc..

But to luckyfarang: You can't just assume it's a separate and totally different word just based on the sound. Think of the English language - often words are pronounced differently just depending on their position in a sentence. What about 'to'. E.g. "I want to go to the shops.".. The first 'to' is pronounced as 'ta' and the second as 'too'.. I suggest if you are seriously going to be giving advice on Thai you shouldn't be dependent on transliterated forms - Inevitably there is going to be confusion.

And that's about as far as this thread's going ta go I think..

FF

<<I suggest if you are seriously going to be giving advice on Thai you shouldn't be dependent on transliterated forms - Inevitably there is going to be confusion. >>

FF -

When I give advice, it is based on my own experiences. I transliterate accurately based on what I hear.

But confusion is inevitable when both the meaning and the pronounciation has mutated.

I can certainly see the advantage of being able to read, and soon, when I retire, I will learn how for sure. I'm sure that it is rare for anyone to approach such a level of conversational fluency where inability to read actually becomes a serious limitation.

<<And there are actually a few alternative Thai spellings of this word which are;

and

- ËÃà - 'ror' (..or again 'lor').>>

Now that you mention it, I usually hear it pronounced the first way, but my girl pronounces it the second way.

Says markle:

lucky

What samak is trying to say is that ¨ÃÔ§æËÃ×à (CHING CHING LER®) is simply ¨ÃÔ§ËÃ×Ãà»ÅèÒ (CHING REU(h) PLAO(l)) with the CHING repeated and the PLAO(l) dropped off the end.

If you could read Thai you wouldn't make such elementary mistakes (i.e. REU(h)/LER is the same word).
:banghead:

[color:"brown"]

Well Markle, you almost got an apology from me, and even though none of the real Nanaplaza linguistic heavy weights have weighed in on this, I agree with what bahnawk and friendlyfiend have posted.

It may not be in the dictionary, but LER/LUH has appeared in the AUA textbooks for twenty years, as I have previously posted.

Since LER/LUH has a different Thai spelling, pronounciation and meaning than REU, I will have to say that at best it's a gray area, and you were wrong when you categorically stated that it's the same word.

So I stand by my previous post:

[color:"blue"]

LER® - Is that so?

It is never used at the beginning or the middle of a sentence.

When used alone, it is asking for confirmation of what the previous speaker just said.

When used at the end of a sentence, it is asking for confirmation of that sentence.

CHING CHING LER® - Really? Is that so?

CHING REU(h) PLAO(l) - True or not?

CHING REU(h) PLAO(l) is used much more frequently in Thai than "True or not" is ever used in English, and depending on what you are replying to and the tone of voice you use, it could be seen as questioning the accuracy of the statement or the truthfulness of the speaker.

It is also frequently used jokingly, coyly, or to feign modesty when complimented.[/color]

[/color]

Says orandanodes:

unless you can show that "Ler" is spelled in Thai differently that "Rue", there no need to strat a new tread on the the same word.

Quite simple really.

"Rue" in the middle of a sentence usally translates to "or".

"Rue" at the end (with or without "Plao") makes the sentece a question, but in a different sense than when using "Mai?", in that the answer is presumed.

By the way, "LeR" emphasising the "R" at the end is not pssoble in Thai. The only "R" sound in Thai is the Ror Rua "Ã", but this letter alsways sounds like and "N" at the end of a word. It'll therefore be impossible to find a Thai word in the dictionary that sounds like "LeR".

Posted by Friendlyfiend:

[color:"purple"] And there are actually a few alternative Thai spellings of this word which are;

and

- ËÃà - 'ror' (..or again 'lor').

Although they have yet to make it into a Thai dictionary (not mine at least, and I have a big new library edition) but are often used in informal Thai writing such as letters, movie subtitles and internet chat, etc..

[/color]

[color:"blue"] Do you recognize this word? [/color]

It got me thinking and I have to say that there are words like

àËÃà or ËÃà (pronounced sort like "Roh or Loh" but you won't find it in a dictionary). This word is used as an expression in combination with for instance "Oh", like "Oh Loh", when you hear one say saomething that you didn't know before. so it would mean something like "Oh is that so".

Then there is the word "ËÃá" (raawk, but may sound like "Lohk", such as in "äÃèËÃá" (Mai Raawk), which is a statement of contradiction, something like "of course not".

Says markle:

I read this thread and I think of a dog chasing it's tail. I'm getting off this merry-go-round. As they say: "Don't get in an argument with an illiterate - they only drag you down to their level and beat you with experience".

Your snobbery about being literate does not make you any better of a Thai speaker than me. But your five times longer in country surely should.

Says luckyfarang:

Your snobbery about being literate does not make you any better of a Thai speaker than me.

Neither does your reverse snobbery about being illiterate necessarily make you a better speaker thsn me. But being literate would make me more reliable on a web-board such as this.

Says luckyfarang:

But your five times longer in country surely should.

It does. :grinyes:

Archived