CHING REU(h) PLAO(l)?

luckyfarang

Literally, this means "true or not?"

You will hear it used a lot in everyday Thai conversation, much more than the equivalent in English would ever be used.

If you compliment a girl on her beauty, she may respond CHING REU(h) PLAO(l)? to play coy or act shy or just fishing for further compliments.

But you have to be a bit careful using this yourself.

If someone tells you something and you respond CHING REU(h) PLAO(l)?, then they might be insulted, as if you are questioning their truthfulness or honesty.

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Says luckyfarang:

Literally, this means "true or not?"

You will hear it used a lot in everyday Thai conversation, much more than the equivalent in English would ever be used.

If you compliment a girl on her beauty, she may respond CHING REU(h) PLAO(l)? to play coy or act shy or just fishing for further compliments.

But you have to be a bit careful using this yourself.

If someone tells you something and you respond CHING REU(h) PLAO(l)?, then they might be insulted, as if you are questioning their truthfulness or honesty.

¨ÃÔ§ËÃ×Ãà»ÅèÒ

"But you have to be a bit careful using this yourself."

I wouldn't say that at all, it's fairly common in everyday speech and carries no negative conotations whatsoever. I don't think it's rarely used in the sense of "C'mon now, are you telling me the truth or not, I don't believe you!!". More like a "Yeah, really?"

FF

Hi,

I agree that is really a common like "Really?"

Still I think it is the tone that can make it negative.

I met a tourist (American woman) in Chiangmai who asked me what I did for a living. I told her and she said "Sure!" with the tone and expression that there was no way that I could do what I said. I just smiled and said sweetly "You are having problem believing me, haven't you?" I must have dressed like a slut that day. :devil:

Jasmine

"I must have dressed like a slut that day.".. Really? I mean.. jing reu plao?... Do you have a picture? ::

But yes, you're right, tone of voice can make a big difference in any language..

Archived