American Embassy open?

rovineye

I am not aware of any closure of the American Consulate in Bangkok. They of course shut doors during demonstrations but these are not normally during visa hours (early mornings). They are not open on the weekend.

Non of my business but do you have your ducks in a row for the visa process? You say for GF and that would not normally involve a person living in the USA 'to help'. A relationship is not something that would indicate a desire to return to Thailand (unless you live here (in Thailand) of course).

Yep, ducks all in a row. Still a crap shoot, but hoping it goes thru this time. If I can ever get her to stabilize for a year or so it will be ok. Buy/sell a dress shop, move, buy/sell a restaurant, buy/sell a karaoke bar, move, go to beauty school, build house. Of course change banks each time also. But she does well enough finacially so who am I to complain.

True she doesn't need my help at the Embassy. The Chiang Mai embassy turned her down last time, so she (like everyone else in Chiang Mai) is told by friends it is easier in BKK. Of course everyone turned down in BKK hears it is easier in Chiang Mai.

She wants to try BKK, and I want to see her of course, so sure, lets try. But no way is she going to BKK (or anywhere else on an airplane) alone. So I will help her with the papers again, and go with her to BKK.

She has compelling evidence (owns a house, has 3 kids, building a beauty salon, and has a few months left in beauty school, 3 years prepaid in English language school, new car a few months ago, etc). None of these on their own are compelling maybe, but the pattern is not one of someone trying to leave. I only wish she had $ in the bank, but she puts it to work and hard for me to advise otherwise.

Thanks for the info, and that's reassuring that the demonstartions are not early. Hadn't thought of that. Yes, I know the regular hours, but thanks for saying it just to be sure.

Good. Sounds like she has a shot at least and that you both know the score. It can be a big disappointment to many who think that their word is going to help the process somehow. The way things are going with SARS she may even be alone in the normal long line. Don't forget to get the post office receipt to pay with first. That can take longer than the visa line sometimes.

The Embassy also has a mailing list that sends out interesting things sometimes even useful ones like scheduled demonstrations. I don't have the address but it's in their website somewhere. Might help you plan your day. Good luck.

Note: I believe consular posts are prohibited by law from considering presence of family who will be left in the home country as evidence of likelihood of returning.

Note: I believe consular posts are prohibited by law from considering presence of family who will be left in the home country as evidence of likelihood of returning.

I'm not necessarily saying that the other stuff wouldn't be enough, just suggesting that the 3 kids should probably be crossed off your list of evidence.

Would like to see such a law as the below is a direct quote from the US Embassy, Thailand web site and seems to say otherwise:
Before a nonimmigrant visa may be issued, an applicant must establish to the satisfaction of the consular officer that he/she is not an intending immigrant. Applicants can do this by showing evidence of their family, economic and other social ties to a country outside the U.S.

Archived