American Embassy open?

rovineye

Says lopburi3:

</font><blockquote><font class="small">Quote:</font><hr />

I could have SWORN I read this somewhere

Have had the same problem often. Seems to increase with the years. ::

Of course, these moments are perfectly balanced by those that go, "I don't remember that at all"! These also seem to increase with the years. Sometimes referred to as "senior moments". :)

Says lopburi3:

Good. Sounds like she has a shot at least and that you both know the score. It can be a big disappointment to many who think that their word is going to help the process somehow. The way things are going with SARS she may even be alone in the normal long line. Don't forget to get the post office receipt to pay with first. That can take longer than the visa line sometimes.

She was very disappointed last time when she was denied. Broken hearted really. Kind of blamed me once she found out I am a Fed employee. If a fit of anfer and hurt feelings claimed I called the Embassy and told them not to get her a visa. At the very least I didn't use my considerable influence to get the visa. Took a lot of explaining to convince her that working for the government in USA is not same-same Thailand. I had aready used up all my considerable influence when I got a parking spot within a mile of my office.

I give her about a 50/50 shot of getting a visa and she understands that. But I can tell you one thing, we both agree is she does get it we are gonna have one hell of a party. Starting at either Banyon Tree or Royal Dragon, and then to NEP (she likes to be bad when not in her home town). SHe said she is gonna ring a bell in more than one a go-go. I will believe that when I see it, esp after she gets the check bin from the first.

If turned down, well it will still be a nice and entertaining dinner, and a more somber trip to NEP or maybe Patpong would more suit the mood. Drowning sorrows in booze (well she only drinks vicariously thru me) and black drape over the bells for us.

I have a feeling there is already much merrit making in process. On her part anyway.

Says lopburi3:

Don't forget to get the post office receipt to pay with first. That can take longer than the visa line sometimes.

Funny you mention that. Last time she went to the Embassy in Chiang Mai and I told her everything to do. She went to the main post office in CM, and they told her no, you pay afterwards. Once she got to the Embassy she was pissed that she couldn't apply since she didn't have the fee paid. Had to go back the following week and pay and go back to the Embassy. She hates going there as there is no parking near by because of the market there also.

SO she calls me this morning. She had gone to the main post office in Chiang Mai and they told her that she must pay after she applies not before. Absolutely would not take her 4200 baht! :banghead: :banghead:

So I had my translator write a letter for them telling them that yes, she must pay first! ughhhh!

Sorry if it was a bum steer. Obviously I'm on that list too but I seem to recall getting one a week or two ago about jasmine rice farmers protesting. Or am I having one of those senior moments of my own?

Kh,

You weren't dreaming - it's in the FAM (Foreign Affairs Manual). I don't think it's law, but it most definitely is in the policy and procedures the State Department has developed to apply the law.

Regards, JEff

Says KhMarried:

I could have SWORN I read this somewhere on the State Dep't web site, but I can't find it. Must have been dreaming! Sorry for the misinfo.

Archived